Mk2 golf coolant G13

Discussion in 'Engines' started by RyanGolf, Oct 31, 2016.

1. RyanGolf Forum Member

Hi,
    When I bought my golf mk2 1.6 driver 2 weeks ago it had just had a new radiator fitted but it didn't have any coolant put in just water. Is G13 coolant safe to use https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152292262421
    Or do I need a differnt type?
    Cheers

2. beetie

beetie Forum Member

Yeah that's the latest Vw spec one

RyanGolf likes this.
  3. RyanGolf Forum Member

Cheers:thumbup:
    Do you know what capacity the coolant system is?

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

6.3 litres :)

RyanGolf likes this.
  5. greavsy New Member

HI. yeah that's what my local Dealer supplied me last week for my 1989 Jetta.

6. RyanGolf Forum Member

When I change the coolant does the thermostat have to come out or can I just drain in from bottom pipe on radiator

7. rubjonny

if you take the lower hose off the side of the waterpump itself (i.e. the one just above the stat housing) all the coolant will drain out of the block, take the bottom radiator hose off the thermostat housing or bottom of the radiator to drain all the coolant out of the radiator :)

you can of course take the thermostat out to do both of the above, up to you whats easier. just note if you do I would recommend a new stat housing and seal if its got a plastic one as they warp and never seem to seal again once removed even with a new seal

if you remove the 2 hoses from the radiator and the hose from the side of the head plus the one off the back of the metal waterpipe to the matrix then flush them all thru with a hosepipe that will flush out all of the old coolant, just the plain water left in the block after the hose flush wont drain out unless you remove the pump hose/stat housing as above. up to you if that bothers you, it never did me

8. RyanGolf Forum Member

I'll give it a go on weekend I think, I'll just take the bottom hose off radiator and and hose of thermostat housing. If I do that will there still be much coolant left in the system after its drained, It's had new radiator and was just wanting to put some coolant in

9. rubjonny

if you do that the only bit left will be in the matrix, flush that thru with a hosepipe and it will at least be full of clean tap water lol

RyanGolf likes this.
  10. RyanGolf Forum Member

Do you know where I can get that long pipe that goes from coolant exspansion tank to the radiator?
    Mines looking old, thinking I'll just buy some new parts for cooling system since I got the radiator

11. RyanGolf Forum Member

12. rubjonny

thats the one, if you prefer the oem braided look the vw hose is still available on that part number at 16.27+VAT per meter, though you may want to double check with the dealer as I hear its been replaced with the plain rubber type. ETKA suggests to cut it to 1040mm

RyanGolf likes this.