Mk2 Golf Engine Conversion Help

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by M4DH47TER, Jul 5, 2017.

1. M4DH47TER New Member

Hi all, I know this has been covered before but for the life of me can't find the answers to the questions I have.

So my MK2 golf gti needs an engine, I had planned on doing an ABF conversion and widetrack conversion but lack of time caused this project to be benched for a while (2 years). during that time I ended up buying 2 Seat Leon Cupra's (AUQ) one for a daily driver, one for spare parts and now I'm toying with the idea of doing a 1.8l 20v turbo conversion to my mk2 as the engine's got a stage 2 remap, but my questions are as I haven't done as much research on this conversion as I had for the abf is ...

1. Is this conversion much different than the ABF conversion??
    2. Can I still use the mk3 running gear as all I have left of the leon is the subframe, engine, gearbox, driveshafts, ECU, and clocks??
    3. What else will I need other than what I've got??
    4. Is it worth getting a custom loom made up as the golf is CE1 and the engines out of a 2004 Leon??
    5. Ideally I want to use the Leon 6 speed box is there much I'm going to need to change to keep this??
    6. Can I use the Mk3 hubs with Cupra Driveshafts or am Mk3 driveshafts with the cupra box??

My current list of parts I have are;
    1. Mk3 Golf GTI complete car
    2. Seat Leon Cupra (AUQ) engine, gearbox, subframe, driveshafts, ecu, clocks, key and black ring and DBW accelerator pedal.
    3. Facet redtop fuel pump
    4. Mk2 Golf GTI complete car minus engine and gearbox

things left to get that I know of;
    Floor mounted pedal box (Clutch and Brake)

Any info you could provide would be great cheers.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

1. its a little more involved, get the right bracket combo to go with the subframe and gearbox and it drops right in but you need a conversion downpipe plus you'll have to mount the throttle pedal. then either hydro pedal box or seat cable kit
    2. yes, assuming 02a or 02j box you need mk3 abf/tdi rear bracket, g60/corrado/passat 4cylinder front bracket plus any 02a gearbox, and whatever shafts to match wishbones. if its an 02j may need 100mm flanges for it depending where it came from
    3. depends what you've got :lol: is it a mk3 gti 8v or 16v?
    4. you will need a custom loom regardless, can make it yourself or pay one of the many loom builders to do it for you. be sure to do your research some guys are better at it than others (despite what they may claim!!)
    http://clubgti.com/showthread.php?267196
    5. lots more money/effort, you need a conversion bracket, move the cup on the subframe, custom shafts
    6. no and no, custom

dont need to change the clutch and brake setup necessarily, depends how you go about it

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  3. M4DH47TER New Member

The plan was use the sub frame off the mk3 golf which is a 16V (didn't realise the ABF came in an 8V) i was going to custom make the downpipe, box i was going to use was the 6 speed box which is on the leon engine unless the 02J box will mount up to the 1.8T 20V engine (engine code AUQ but was hoping to have a 6 speed box) I may end up getting a custom loom made up.

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

you can use the mk3 subframe with the abf rear bracket, you'll just need a g60/corrado/passat 4cyl front bracket to match the front engine carrier. you can use the abf front bracket if you source a corrado vr6 front engine carrier, its also found on bigger engine passat b4 and seat toledo.

with the 6 speed 02m you need a custom box bracket, move the cup on the subframe plus custom shafts. then you need to fit electronic speed clocks, or finsd an electric to mechanical converter box (sender is purely digital on the 02M, no mech drive inside) the 02a/j 5 speed boxes are easier almost straight fit just need hydro pedal box or seat cable conversion kit