Mk2 Golf Fuel Tank Sizes

Discussion in 'Engines' started by IanCarvell, Nov 5, 2007.

1. IanCarvell Forum Member

Does anyone know if there were any differences in fuel tank size on different models of Mk2 Golf GTi.

I am looking for a larger one, I wondered if maybe the diesel had a larger tank?

2. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Iv'e got three Haynes manuals here, of varying ages - all say 55 litres / 12 gal

3. IanCarvell Forum Member

Ok, thanks for that Chris....this is further long distance racing investigation if you hadn't guessed already.

The target is 120 litre fuel capacity, so the bigger I can get the standard tank the smaller the feeder tank inside the car has to be which will have to mounted quite high up.

4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Sure I thought it had to be.

I was just trying to guess which race! Birkett was 2 x weekends ago (edit: hardly endurance!!!) so you must be planning well into 2008!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  5. IanCarvell Forum Member

Indeed....still bouncing around the idea of the 24 hours next September, but that sort of thing needs planning from now really, that is why we didn't get around to doing it this year.

6. RichS

RichS CGTI Regional Host

I don't know if it'd be of any use, but I recall that the Mk3 Estates had a 65 (?) litre tank - all the others, including the VR had 55 IIRC. Could a Mk3 tank be made to fit the Mk2 chassis?