Mk2 Golf GTi 16v Engine Set-Up

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Homer, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Homer Forum Member

Just picked a 16v Mk2 Golf GTi up and it won;t idle properly and seems abit flat power wise.

I have always had 8v Digifant GTi's and know that setting the timing and fueling up on one isn't straight forward. Like having to switch the trip computer into set-up mode and unplugging certain engine sensors to get the fuel to adjust correctly.

Is there anything like this on a 16v GTi that I need to be aware of?

Is there a set of instruction anywhere for basic set-up like I had for the 8v?

What should the timing be set to?

What CO should the 16v be running at?

2. Tomo IOW Forum Member

cant remember off hand about the timing, but the CO needs to be set at 2%, this should sort the idle out if everything is working, as if its hunting at cold start up then its to rich, if the CO is correct then that could mean that the wur reg isnt working properly or a senser or thermotime switch faulty, these components plus the cold start valve all work together to adjust the fuelling at cold start and hot operations,

these should all be checked plus the fuel pressure tests if still having problems with hunting, if any adjustment with the fuel pressures then that will affect the CO content

3. Homer Forum Member

It isn't hunting.

It won't idle full stop, whether its hot or cold. When coasting to a stop you can here it popping back through the exhaust. Low down the revs it is lumpy (slight misfire) but once above around 2500rpm it seems to clear.

Car has been stood for quite some time (couple of months) and the other thing I have noticed is that the MPG is quite low compared to other 16v I have known other people own.

4. Mike_H Forum Addict

Timing is nearly the same procedure as a digi - set it to the groove in the flywheel with a strobe - the only difference is you do it at tickover, rather than 2300 rpm, and you don't need to mess with the temp sensor. If you've got a Haynes, that'll have any of the details I've missed.

If it's been sat for a long time, then new plugs, rotor arm, etc, wouldn't be a bad idea and I'd give the ISV a clean out too.

5. Homer Forum Member

Just been working on it at tea break.

Found the black air pipe front the fuel metering head to the inlet is split in about 4 places inside the belowes!!! Got to be a good starting point!!!!!!!

Can anyone give me the correct timing figure to set it too please as I don't have a manual for the car.

Already had new cap, arm, leads, plugs etc.

6. pigbladder Forum Addict

6 degs , your sposed to undo the red/blk under the coil

7. Homer Forum Member

Is that the thin red/black wire that goes into a white multi plug just under the coil on the bulkhead then mate?

8. kerrly Forum Member

yep thats the one. bare in mind it can be a little fragile so its easy to crack the plastic coating on the wire.

http://www.clubgti.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=77197 - this thread explains the ignition setting process on a 16v... complete with pics!!

good luck

9. Homer Forum Member

Which one is the idle adjustment screw please?

10. pigbladder Forum Addict

brass looking screw facing you from the tb....pretty much the only ajustable looking screw there tbh

11. Homer Forum Member

Cheers mate, thought it was just wanted to make sure.

I have checked the timing now I have fitted an air tight intake pipe and it was fine. Starts first turn of the key.

Unplugged the red/black wire under the coil and now it won't start. I have adjusted the brass idle screw 5 full turns (increase idle) and now it starts great and idles at just under 1000rpm with the red/black wire disconnected.

Plugged the wire back in and it now sits dead on 1000rpm, starts fine and revs quite freely.

Going to the MOT station at tea break to check the CO on their machine. Am I right in thinking that to set the CO I need to unplug the red/black wire again and remove the breather pipe from the air intake and block it off????? Then I can adjust the CO via the 3mm allen key on the metering head???

12. pigbladder Forum Addict

yeah red v/black undone and youre supossed to block the breather but not many people bother

13. Homer Forum Member

All sorted

On first check the CO was moving between 3.8% and 4.1%!!!!!!

No wonder it was crap on fuel. Its now set to 2.0% and after a quick roadtest it seems great.

Thanks for everyones help today, appreciate it.

Just got the indicator fault to sort out now.

14. Homer Forum Member

Took it for a good drive last night and it now pulls really well and has no pinking etc.

Left it parked on the drive for an hour or so and then went to move it, on initail start-up it misfired but after about 30 secs of running it cleared and was fine after. Was the same again this morning after standing all night, but after a couple of light blips of the throttle it cleared and drove fine.

Any idea's???

15. pigbladder Forum Addict

maybe a leaky injector?

if you dont have any proof of it being done...get new o rings and merc inj off ebay and set the co up again

16. Homer Forum Member

Merc Injector? As in Mercedes?

From what model if so?

17. coolrunnings Forum Member

Just search ebay, go through parts,vw golf and type in injectors and he normally selling merc injectors. I think there 20 a pop nowadays tho.

18. Mike_H Forum Addict

LR_Spare_Parts is the seller normally. If you search for Bosch Injectors you'll find them.

Sounds like leaky injectors - does the exhaust smell of fuel when you first start it? You can always try throwing them in an utrasonic cleaner to see if that helps, and unplug the CSV for now, as you don't need any extra fuel in there!

Invest in a Haynes manual too... it sounds like you're going to be doing a bit of work on the car - making a big difference already though :thumbup:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VOLKESWAGEN-G...12|39:1|66:2|65:12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14.l1318

Last edited: Aug 8, 2008