Mk2 Golf GTI 16V Nitrous

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by stephenhop, Jul 25, 2004.

1. stephenhop New Member

Hi guys. ive been speaking to a mechanic from Manchester, he fits Nos kits, he said im looking at bout 800 quid for the kit fitted and maybe some extra for a bottle heater and gauge for inside, he recons i will get about 70 bhp, im wondering has anybody else ever done this on a mk2 16v ? what was it like for traction and did it melt your engine[:^(], let me know what you think thanks

1990 MK2 golf gti 16v
    k&n panel filter
    stainless exhaust (no stainless manifold)
    avo coilovers stupidly low at the front
    oz super turis in 16inch toyo proxes 205/45/16
    purple and grey full leather
    vented zinc coated disc's allround

2. VR6Will Forum Member

bottle heater?? you sure, would have thought you want to keep it as cool as possible!

3. Unknown Forum Junkie

maybe he's got a baby....

For less money you can get a 2.0 block. You'll not get as much power but you'll get it all the time and it'll be reliable, use your cams btw. It'll be chaper to insure too (dont the insurance people poo themselves when you mention nitrous?)

Dont get me wrong, I like the idea of nitrous but I'd always be worrying about melting pistons or cost of gas etc.

-grammar - makes some sense now -
    Edited by: Unknown

4. stephenhop New Member

Hi [:D] No Baby !! lol . The vw speedshop did said i could do with bottle heater maybe its just for winter time. He might be after more cash off me [:x] Im not sure how much for a refill, But it will last about 30 mins on full throttle. not bad. enough for a few races. ive not asked my insurance im not looking forward to it i could always forget to ring them [:s] how much for a 2.0 block fitted and how much brake would i get from it. the car stands me at about 1400 quid, it needed some paint i payed 1100 [:D] im willing to spend abit onit if it makes alot of differnce. it still pulls at 125/130mph ive got bills for loads of stuff but nothing for engine mods. i had a gti engineering 1.9 8v mk2 before this, that was nippy. but it was a while ago so i forget if it was quicker. also i can get a Twin carb setup off a mk2 16v, a full setup is this worth doing ?450

what bhp do u think my car now any idea's ??
    Edited by: stephenhop

5. 800 note for laughing gas is an awful lot, and check out Nitrous Info for everything you need to now about N20.

6. stephenhop New Member

hi, ive already been to that site its good and ive seen his how to home made nitrous kits. i fancy somit from a decent company thats been making kits for years for drag cars and street cars in the usa. the kit is a nos im buying it for 500 and 300 for fitting at a place for mac , dont know what that stands for but the guy steph is a top guy ;)

vw speedshop sells the kits.

7. edc1 Forum Member

Does your kit include a progressive controller?

8. stephenhop New Member

hi, i think so i didnt ask ? he basically told me i could have it come on when i like say 3rd 4th and 5th at a certain rev's or on full throttle, why not mail the guy at vw speed shop, ive had a few problems with car the coil and i mashed my metering head up by messing about [:x] silly me . its all sorted now so fingers crossed if nothing else falls of in the next few weeks and i will be booking it in for nitrous.

i will keep u posted.

http://www.vwspeedshop.co.uk/

9. edc1 Forum Member

that doesn't sound too progressive to me, just sounds like a trigger point

10. stephenhop New Member

i really dont know. i will see if steph is still at work now ;)

11. edc1 Forum Member

12. stephenhop New Member

hi i just spoke to steph, he said it doesnt have one with the kit and they are 250 but u only need it if i want more than 70 bhp,

13. edc1 Forum Member

do a bit more research n various forums before you commit then cos I personally wouldn't want to run without one

14. stephenhop New Member

Hi. ive not ordered anything yet im open to advice. i will have a read of that site tonight and see what they are sayin,
    cheers.

15. edc1 Forum Member

without a controller the nos just come in in one big hit, so there's a massive spike or surge in power and that's what causes things to break

16. stephenhop New Member

i dont really fancy bits breakin [:^(] if i buy that kit and the controller for 750 is that alot to pay. its not easy to find places that sell the kits, the one's on that site u get 25 bhp to start off and u have to send data to them for them to sell larger injectors to you. i can get the controller and get 90 bhp. maybe it will take a while to build it up but i wouldnt have to go to doncaster only cholton which is about 6 miles away from urmston :p doncaster is south yorkshire its not 6 miles anyway

17. edc1 Forum Member

there's a kit for sale on cupranet. The noswizard site should have a list of installers/distributors if not I'm sure they will recommend one.

18. stephenhop New Member

hi, whats the address of that site please. cupranet ???

ive had my airbox and metering head replaced. my old airbox had 4 15mm holes side by side on the wing side when i got the car. i have a k&n panel filter in there now same as before should i re-drill my airbox ? its not makin the cool sucking noise that it used to but its seems abit quicker but my timing was slighly out maybe thats why it seems better ?

19. edc1 Forum Member

20. LregG

LregG Paid Member Paid Member

There's a certain well known mk2 16v golf that is in my home town that uses NOx. It's grey and was the first in the uk on 18's. I know that the gearbox let go while he was caining it past the market square, gutted. Be warned, too much gas doesn't make you laugh.