Mk2 golf gti 16v oettinger

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Jeffrey Hamlett, Mar 5, 2024.

1. Jeffrey Hamlett New Member

I have recently found out that my golf gti was sent to Oettinger from the factory all the codes match.It also has electric Recaros these where also fitted at the factory. Does anyone have any idea of what I should value the car for insurance purposes?

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Lots!
    It would depend on condition overall though?

Jeffrey Hamlett likes this.
  3. Jeffrey Hamlett New Member

The overall is good not perfect but pretty good one tiny bit of bubbling on the scuttle I am only the third owner previous owner acquired the car in 1990 so have a large file of history the miles on the car is 153000 miles .

4. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

What does an oettinger have that is special?

5. Jeffrey Hamlett New Member

Oettinger has upgraded the engine from 138 bhp to 150bhp it has also been fitted with electric recaros. VW use O Ottinger for a lot of there upgrades. This is all shown on the ID tag.

6. PhilRyder

Can you post some pictures?
    Unfortunately in my experience “specials”, in any marque, don’t really command a much higher value than a standard option. It may make it easier to sell when the time comes but as with anything condition is the most important factor. A super clean and sorted 16v might make £12k at the moment but it needs a knowledgeable and dedicated fan to pay extra for what amounts to 12hp and some nice seats. For example, two 16v, one an oettinger and one standard, I would go for the one that has the best bodywork and least rust regardless of the “special” status.
    So in answer to your question, insure it for the same as an equivalent standard 16v plus a grand maybe. Ultimately though it will be down to the insurance company to agree what the value should be.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2024
    Jeffrey Hamlett likes this.
  7. Matt Golf Forum Member

If it helps my fully restored 5dr 16v 1991 with 2.0 Audi block, air con and heated/electric black leather recaro has an agreed value of £10k. I had thought it would be higher….

8. PhilRyder

Yes, this is an issue. Our 1991, resprayed, no rust, R32, virtually everything replaced has an agreed value of 8k :cry:

9. daNpy Forum Member

Is a taxation (assessment/official valuation) not required in the UK?
    To insure a classic or valuable car all risk in NL it's required to have an official report, from an assessor who is licensed.

10. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

A good rule of thumb (and an over simplification for the sake of this post) is to insure your vehicle for the full retail amount that would let you go out today and replace like for like should you ever need to. Not just build another, but buy another complete vehicle at current market value.

Easier said than done, specially for a vehicle that may not be that common.

Check out past and current values of similar cars that have been sold / advertised as evidence of values.

This tool is useful, but it will only provide guide lines, it's not claiming to give exact values though they say it's based on analysis of current values / prices.

https://www.hagerty.co.uk/valuation/tool/

An insurance company will work with you if you feel your particular vehicle is worth more than any of the above suggests, so don't be afraid of upping values to whatever you feel is correct.

Down side is you'll also likely pay an increased premium for that cover to compensate for the increased value / risk or have conditions imposed like a certain catagory of alarm has to be fitted / garaged while not in use for example.

Always insure a classic for an agreed amount, that's not necessarily the same thing as insuring it for market value, even if you are given whatever the top amount is.

Depending on insurer you may also be asked for an evaluation report to support the amount you wish agreed upon, that can be expensive and something you'll potentially have to cover yourself, so factor it in.

Insurance for classics was quite relaxed until a few years ago, but with it being increasingly abused companies are becoming more stringent, so don't assume anything, always check / make sure what your exact cover entails and that it is recorded in black and white.

One they're increasingly homing in on is MOT's... They're now explicitly stating in proposals that a current / valid MOT certificate (if needed) must be present for their insurance cover to be effective. No / expired MOT, not covered.

Big subject, can't begin to scratch the surface of it on a forum, so speak to your broker / insurance company direct... too important not to.

11. PhilRyder

No, up to a certain value. My BMW is agreed value up to £20k without a report. If I want more then I would need a report.
    We can get a higher agreed value for the golf if we get a report, just need to pull my finger out and get one done :(

12. Matt Golf Forum Member

Same here. They said it would need an assessor and I would have to pay for that

13. PhilRyder

14. daNpy Forum Member

Ah so it's from a certain value. That's not the case here, my DAF is valued for less, but it needs it to be for it to be insured all risk.
    As Zender already said, if the value is higher, the insurance fee is also higher. On the other hand, if you don't have a report, you'll get the current day price, even if it's in mint condition, and that's just a few quid.

This is why it's regulated here. The valuation needs to be done by a certified person nowadays, because in the past they would insure a classic for an insane amount, then crash it.