mk2 golf gti 8v90spec 4x4 syncro conversion

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by vwjack, May 29, 2006.

1. vwjack New Member

hi every1 just wondering if its possible to fit 4x4 syncro running gear on a mk2 golf gti 8v 1990? if you can how hard is it? how much will it cost rufly and is it worth it with only 112bhp????

someone out there must know! :p

2. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Here is a good guide for you:

http://www.dutchdub.com/4WDConversion.htm

The only reason you would want to do this is so that you could create a three-door Syncro MK2 shell, because three-door Syncros are thin on the ground. Five-door Syncro shells are easy (in a relative sense) to get hold of.

The best way to start is to get a knackered old five-door Syncro and cut it up because there are a lot of panels you require, most of which you can't get from VAG anymore. You require the transmission tunnel, the boot floor panel, the rear crossmember box section that is welded underneath the boot panel, the taller side panels for the rear chassis arms, the Syncro fuel tank, and lots of other bits including the rear wishbones and subframe, differential, prop shaft, gearbox with angle drive and so on. The standard Syncro transmission parts can't handle much power apparently, so Rallye differential and gearbox is preferable.

It is worthwhile looking for PhatVR6's old thread about how he converted his Corrado to Syncro because it shows in detail how he fitted the boot floor pan.

I have personally cut up a five-door Syncro myself and built myself a tilter/jig so that I can roll my project MK2 and start doing this work (you need the shell to be on its side or upside down completely, and the chassis should be jigged when doing the transmission tunnel), but in the meantime I happened to come across an original three-door Syncro, so I dunno whether I shall ever do this now.

Here's what I had to cut from the rusty old Syncro...

[​IMG]

Trev

Last edited: May 29, 2006
  3. vwjack New Member

thanks for the reply, sorry about posting a thread in the wrong section i wont do it again, sounds alot harder than i was hoping, sounds like a project for when i have a bigger place with a garage so i can leave the car in the garage whilst i work on it :) does the syncro golf handle well?

thanks

4. funkbaron Forum Junkie

My friend has a syncro and it rails round corners, really fun car!

5. G6 TEE Forum Member

It is a somewhat involved conversion, but anythings possible in this world, I got told not to put a GTI motor in my (previously) 1.3 MK2, too late now 'cos the whole lots gone in :lol:

6. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

slightly OTT there trev!! you don't need anywhere near that much of the car.

7. Trev16v

But Phat, don't you see? It is far easier to change a boot floor like this. Just chop the entire back off the Syncro, and simply shut it back onto the other car with a neat seam weld. None of this time-consuming drilling out spot welds nonsense.

:)

8. Trev16v

I confess... I cut the car away from the pan.