Mk2 Golf GTI

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Chat' started by Jimmy, Jul 26, 2004.

1. Jimmy New Member

Hi Guys,

Newbie alert so apologies if posting up like this aint the done thing. Anyway, I just wanted to say what a great site this is - so much info it's taking me a while to wade through the relevant bits. Well, after my association with all things Mk1 / Mk2 Golf ended some 3 years ago with an ever growing family necessiating something a little bigger etc [:^(] I've now decided I can no longer be without a Mk2 Golf GTI so the hunt begins.....

Just one observation though. I can't quite believe the prices being asked by some for the GTI. About 3 years ago I sold a near mint 92 (J) Mk2, GTI in Oak Green with < 90k miles for 3k (and it took some doing getting that for it). I've seen some cars of similar if not older vintage going for near this figure with 150k miles. Admittedly they're nice / original examples but still it seems alot of wonga for a high mileage car. Is this the going rate then? I don't mind paying good money for the right car but I'm not prepared to have my eyeballs ripped from their sockets. JMHO of course....

Anyway, I'm based near Durham / Darlo so if there are any regional meets going on I'll try and pop down. You never know I might have a wedge burning a hole in my back pocket in a few weeks time if anyone's got one for sale ;)

2. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Welcome to the forum!!!

My 1992 black one was only 650 but it's got 190,000 miles. It now stands me at about 1100 and have a 70,000 mile 2.0 engine, mk3 recaro seats and a few other nice touches.

Good cheap cars are out there!!

3. hayesey Forum Junkie

I'd say that 3k was way over the odds for a mk2 GTI these days.

I could see people paying 2k for a very clean example but no more than that. highly modified ones are a different kettle of fish obviously.

4. superden Forum Addict

Welcome to the forum [:D]

My 16v is an `88 and cost me 500. In nearly two years of ownership its cost me 200.

It got through its last MOT for 60.

Its on 150k and still pulls cleanly :thumbup:

5. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

You should have said Den, i can get those bent tickets for 35quid ;) :lol:

6. superden Forum Addict

My MOT is due for renewal on Aug 18th ... you got any spare tickets Ian ;) :lol:

7. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

Mine cost 2000 and came original bar the 2.0 16v engine and no gearbox. Had full SH and ALL receipts from last 6 years or more.

Now owes me about 5500

8. Guests Banned

i paid 4200 for mine 2 years ago.

i wouldnt take 5k if someone offered it to me :)