mk2 golf moisture / rust on underside of roof

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by saladman, Oct 22, 2023.

1. saladman

saladman Paid Member Paid Member

With headliner removed I have uncovered some surface rust - I guess caused by condensation on the roof panel over the years. I've cleaned it up as best I could, primered and painted - but is there anything else that I should do now?

2023-10 - cgti under roof rust 01.JPG

For example getting rid of the OEM woolly pads and replacing with something less prone to holding water? I presume the woolly stuff is for sound deadening and heat insulation, maybe something else - interested in people's thoughts and experience.

Cheers

2. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

Do your woolly / felt pads show signs of ever having been damp?

Might be that along with providing sound deadening / stopping panel boom / heat insulation they also (intentionally or otherwise) actually prevent condensation?

If the entire roof inner surface had been given a covering there might not have been the surface rust where it's bare?

3. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

If the car is subject to temperature fluctuations without adequate time to dry out there is nothing you can do. If there has been a leak at some point which took a long time to dry out that could have been the cause. I would not worry about it unless you think there is a leak.

4. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

I think every mk2 that uncovers the roof will find exactly the same. Mine is.
    I have cleaned, then treated the rust with a Hamblit rust product. My plan is to put something on this to create a barrier against the condensation. Maybe just something the same as on the floor,

5. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Bilt Hamber?

6. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Probably. I was tired

7. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Self adhesive neoprene? Would that help insulate it too?