MK2 golf pollen filter housing

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by stevec, Dec 17, 2022.

1. stevec Paid Member Paid Member

2. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Seems a bit overkill on a MK2, what about all the other holes and vents and gaps :lol:

3. stevec Paid Member Paid Member

HI
    Lol you must have seen my car??? I was more concerned about forced fresh air into the cabin.
    From a personal point when we have our 2 weeks of uk summer, my hay fever kicks in! When this car is eventually finished so that it is use able, it will mainly be used in those months.

4. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Does an ibiza 6k assembly fit? From memory of the 6k2 I stripped it looks extremely similar.

5. stevec Paid Member Paid Member

HI
    This has been well documented in previous posts with all vw, audi, seat and skoda parts being considered, The seat will share the same parts as the polo from that age. Think the polo had two bolt in fixing points, whereas the golf has three locating pins. Really don't want to cut the car, anymore than necessary and i will always be able to revert back to standard.
    My way of thinking is upgrade to new OE+ type as all the original rare parts for the golf/corrado are fetching silly money.

6. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Ibiza is a sort of mash up of polo and golf, mk3 front subframe, polo rear beam, ibiza being same as the polo classic- estate and saloon, not the hatchback, inca and caddy are ibiza based although they look like a polo 6n, but wider, a bit like the old p100 Ford pick up looked like a normal cortina, but was based on the south African version so larger and not much of the car parts fitted.
    Thought the one I broke when building my inca had the same heater inlet fitting as a mk2, I may be wrong as was 8 years or so I did it, good old vw parts bin, may have been more like a mk3 I'm unsure, I'll see if can find any photos of it.

7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

mk2 golf and seat toledo are the only direct fit options, mk3/4 are too big and odd angles to go in nicely plus need to mod the car to get it secured as mentioned. there are all kinds of various audi which look like they may may go but they're all a bit awkward in shape.

theres a guy on facebook doing copies of the original mk2 housing, and also special RHD versions which fit nice under the scuttle tray. the LHD ones are a little bit too tall and often hit the scuttle tray especially if you have the later hard plastic type

there was a votex add on filter which was basically, a massive rubber band which you used to secure a panel filter on top of the original housing. I got hold of one a while back but still cant decide if I want to fit it...
    votexpollenfilter1.jpg votexpollenfilter2.jpg votexpollenfilter3.jpg

dodgy likes this.
  8. Matt Golf Forum Member

A foam sheet secured by the world's largest cable tie does the job nicely on mine. Does not look factory of course but as its under the plastic scuttle dont care as long as it keeps the little bits of crap out.

9. muppet9966 Forum Member

I managed to pick up a filter housing for the mk2 from China afew years ago, then got a LA19 filter.
    Fits like a dream.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2023
    stevec likes this.
  10. NateS2

NateS2 Paid Member Paid Member

I have the same one. Its from a Chery Amulet which is based on the A2 platform. I got a guy in Russia to buy it for me from the Chery dealer a few years ago and ship it over. For an "Original Part" it is crap, warped and badly fitting. But it does fit. I binned the filter that came with it and fitted a MAHLE LA19 which is flat rather than curved. It doesn't fit quite right on RHD because of the rail tray shape being wrong. I think the hard plastic rain tray's would fit better.

If I was to buy one again, I'd ask RD plastics about it. They're Ukrainian and their parts look excellent. Its showing as Sold out at the minute.
    https://rdplastics.store/collection...-filter-ac-16v-g60-gti?variant=32746425942147

stevec likes this.
  11. NateS2

NateS2 Paid Member Paid Member

Apologies I can't read, jon mentined about the scuttle issues earlier up.

12. Adelin Sergiu New Member

13. jess86 Forum Member

Does anyone know the name of the guy RJ mentioned who was doing the copies? or anywhere else I could purchase?. I have searched for the Mahle LAG19 but no luck

14. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

15. jess86 Forum Member

Thankyouuu :thumbup: