mk2 golf rear suspension

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by allie5, Nov 23, 2003.

1. allie5 New Member

right went to do rear shocks on the golf this morning and the rear spring caps and the metal collar have rusted/seized solid. no amoutn of persausion with heat/penetration oil/vice/large hammer/word of encouragement would see it move, so going to have to buy replacements and just hack saw through the piston rod to get the springs off. so what i need to know is can we order the parts from gsf/euro and not VW and if so anyone got idea of the prices? also while I'm at it anyone got pictures of mk2 big bumper models with 9*16 avez a's? thanx
    Edited by: allie5

2. coullstar Forum Member

From memory you can get them at gsf. Not to expensive either.

3. jc.. Forum Member

Just done this myself, only needed the spring cap so just sliced through the rod nect to it.

What are you replacing? Springs, shocks or both.
    If it is just the springs can't you cut the collar and nut off without cutting into the damper piston rod?
    You will find that you may not have to cut all the way through before it becomes free.
    Small cutting wheel shoul do the trick

4. Enigmatik33 Forum Member

nah we're replacing the dampers, got the spring caprs today 11 quid for pair and 5.20 for the pair of spacer collars. just hacksaw through the shock as it's fecked and take the spring off.

5. c13tay Forum Member

I have 16" AZEV a's on my mk2 - dont know how to post pics though - mailme at cbt2@bnfl.com and I will send you some pics

6. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

relax ailsa. job done :thumbup: