MK2 Golf: Retrimming Leather Steering Wheel

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by Peter, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Peter Forum Member

I am looking to have a standard MK2 Golf GTI wheel (large spline PAS wheel) retrimmed in Alcantara. I want it to be the same style and thickness as the OE leather wheel.

Question is if you were to remove the leather covering is a leather wheel the same as a plastic wheel? (rim thickness, cutouts etc)

The leather wheels seem to carry a large premium over the plastic wheel so if I could use a plastic wheel as a base that would save quite a lot.

Thanks

Pete

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

it would end up a little thicker than a leather one and the joins between the leather and plastic sections wouldn't be flush if you get me but if that doesnt bother you and the job is done well they look fine.

the corrado vr6 wheels can be had a fair bit cheaper they seem to be popping up quite regular these days if they are any interest to you
    SalesItem13Slideshow01.JPG

I've got one that needs re-trimmed I was planning to have a go myself but I found another for a great price and a friend is giving it a leather refurb for me. So I'll probably be getting rid of the other one since it's not like I'm short of things to do :lol:

3. rubjonny

heres a genuine leather wheel:
    9179218.jpg

vs non-leather with a decent trim job (ignore the obvious aftermarket textured section, look at the joins to the spokes):
    IMG_8890-1.jpg

4. cupracraig

cupracraig Paid Member Paid Member

for the cost of a retrim you can pick up a genuine lether one but the leather will be old and probably need some care

5. Peter Forum Member

Thanks gents, the pics you kindly posted illustrate the issue I was wondering about, I'm really keen to get the look of the factory wheel (no step up in thickness from the inside of the spoke to the outside of the spoke) but in alcantara.

I do have a leather wheel in the car currently which is in excellent order but it seems wrong to chop it up, the annoying part is this is the 2nd one I bought as the 1st one's leather was too worn (they were quite inexpensive 10+ years ago) , I'm sure I kept hold of it but I cant find it for the life of me.

Slightly OT but the diagonal pattern on the horn push, I always had it in my mind that this was unique to the 16V and G60 but not sure that is correct? I had a 1989 8 valve gti in my teens and that had the plain horn push

6. rubjonny

its an age thing, the diagonal pattern type 191419669K is listed up to 89 then they switched to 191419669G smooth type according to ETKA. If you look at the 90 G60 brochure it still has the diagonal pattern push on there so its definitely not trim specific :)

7. Peter Forum Member

Thanks again, that’s interesting to know. I prefer the plain one

8. Peter Forum Member

Just to update this for any future searches, a member of the FB group kindly supplied me with an image of a leather wheel without the cover, you can see the recess for the stitch join and also the untextured rubber, surprisingly the grip doesn't look much thinner to accommodate the leather.

[​IMG]

I had been searching for a wheel and actually sourced a couple in the same day, I wasn't particularly looking for 2 but it was the usual story of buying one and then another more suitable one popping up almost right away. The 1st one had actually been retrimmed last year but was going for a good price and the 2nd one was badly worn but had the smooth horn pad I wanted and was priced not much more than you see the pads go for.

Unfortunately when they arrived they both had the same issue of the rubber grip (underneath the leather) being detached from the metal frame so it could be twisted around, the seller of the 2nd wheel has been great and refunded me right away but the 1st guy is unresponsive.I've since found a third (not purchased) and that also has the same issue, Wondering about taking a different route now with an aftermarket wheel or to continue searching as I'm concerned if this is a common issue. The oe leather wheel I have currently is nice and solid but its had little to no use in the past ten years since I've had it and was in great order when I got it.

9. rubjonny

I wonder if you could cut into the wheel at various points round the rim to the metal frame and fill with some kind of adhesive to get it stuck back on

10. Peter Forum Member

I did read up on a potential fix by injecting an adhesive into the wheel but the results were mixed. I guess as the leather covers up any fixes this does give you more leeway to get creative. From what I understand the rubber is cast around the frame so getting a solid joint between the two with adhesive may be problematic.

11. rubjonny

yeah I'd only bother if you cant get shot of the other wheel which has failed or you're stuck with it after a refund. very worst case you could get a standard one and file a grove in it for the stictching and file it down round the spokes to make it sit proper once trimmed I suppose, lot of arse ache involved there though

12. Peter Forum Member

Well they say 3rd times a charm, after returning the previous 2 wheels this one popped up in Latvia, was a good price so decided to take a chance as the seller assured me it was solid. Arrived this morning and first impressions are very good, very dirty but ideal for what I want to do with it.

[​IMG]

The slight issue I now have is I originally planned to have one of the reissued VMS gearknobs retrimmed in a matching alcantara (with a combined gaitor) but the only trimmer who's come back to me said it would be impossible to trim the gearknob in alcantara due to its shape. Thrown my plans up in the air, I really want the wheel and gearknob to match but also want the VMS gearknob so somethings going to have to give.