mk2 golf screen demister fix

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by pigbladder, Jul 14, 2010.

1. pigbladder Forum Addict

my mk2 had been suffering from weak output on the screen demisters for a while

i decided to whip the dash out for a look , to remove the dash you need to take off the following parts , should take around an hour for a first timer

radio
    all switches
    heater facia
    dash bezel
    steering wheel
    stalks and surrounds
    both under trays
    center console..loosen but can stay in car
    dash clocks
    all vents and surrounds
    rain tray cover

once thats all out ...theres a 8mm bolt either end of the dash , one each side of the console and one 10mm nut each end of the rain tray (hard to see, look up under the wipers from under the bonnet )

give the dash a tug towards you ...you will find theres some wiring clipped onto to it,so detach that and the glove box light and with any luck it should come out

heres some pics that explain the cause , the dash is made from some cardboard type stuff and the screen duct had come away , the intake was also deformed by someone shoving the radio in with lots of wires behind it [:$]

the fix is to use some polyureathane sealer like tiger seal to caulk into the gap , then clamp it tight over night until its set

refit the dash and you should have working demisters ( while the dash is out you might like to fit a new matrix )

spot the fault ? it should be bonded tight all the way along
    dashboard003.jpg

couple of closer pics where the 2 parts have split open
    dashboard002.jpg dashboard004.jpg dashboard005.jpg dashboard006.jpg

all glued up and waiting to set , i used polyureathane sealer that sets over night , use some wood and old rags to stop the clamps marking the dash, put some thought into what you use so you dont reset the dash too straight
    dashboard007.jpg dashboard011.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2020
  2. altern8 Forum Junkie

good man

3. ktuludays

ktuludays Forum Member

never mind good man, we should call him the clamp man!!

4. nhoj62

nhoj62 Forum Member

that would explain why my screen demist is **** poor yet i have a toasty warm dash. may have to do this if i get a chance

5. andy216 Forum Member

I want to do this next week, can you give any tips? what make of glue did you use?

6. pigbladder Forum Addict

i used polyureathne sealer ...tigerseal /sikaflex , should find some on ebay under 10

what tips do you want ? i tried to cover it all best i can

7. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

what more dose he need to know

good thread by the way:thumbup:

8. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Excellent work there pigbladder. :thumbup::clap:

I'm wondering if I have a bit of this splitting going on. Any chance you could check something for me on your 'all fixed up' dash?

With blower set to windscreen, do you get a fairly even amount of airflow out of all four of the main screen vents? The reason I ask is that my middle two blow a lot more air than the outer two; and hardly any air seems to come out of the very end bits where the dash speakers are. This could be normal; but I'd be surprised if VW hadn't been clever enough to distribute the air reasonably evenly?

Do you reckon loosening off the scuttle fixings and some/all of the others might allow the dash to be pulled back enough for finger-room to feel whether this splitting has occurred, without complete removal? S'pose I should just try it. :lol:

9. pigbladder Forum Addict

with it all sealed up the outer ones arent as strong flow as the inner ones ..assume thats because its further away from the fan inlet

you might get you hand along there with the radio facia out ?

when its failed the ends of the screen wont demist , if its clearing evenly leave it

10. Doddsy Forum Member

Thanks for this bladder mate - what a name btw. I currently have the bloody dash out as you know - I spent ages making a new gasket for the duct that mates to the dash last year. Upon refitting there was no difference which I was baffled with. This will explain it. I will be checking this first thing when I get round to the workshop(mates gaff) tomo morning!

11. alexisblades99 Forum Member

I have now done this while fitting a new heater matrix - major improvement in blowyness just in time for the big freeze. Great idea pigbladder :thumbup:

12. nhoj62

nhoj62 Forum Member

just done my dash
    your guide was very helpfull
    i now having properly working screen vents
    thanks
    john

13. pigbladder Forum Addict

glad to have helped fellas

14. andy216 Forum Member

I have just followed your guidelines above and now how tornados of air coming out on to the screen. Mucho happy tar.

15. aid

aid Forum Member

Just had the dash out the rocco to look for a leak suspected to be from under the windscreen.similar splitting to be found!
    I noted with interest that the rocco dash doesnt bolt through the fire wall! Ill make a thread tomorrow with pictures on the screw locations :)

Aid