mk2 golf van pd 130 conversion

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by shane d, Jan 22, 2012.

1. shane d Forum Member

Hello.
    I'm considering fitting a pd130 to my old golf van and have some questions/concerns re the mounts.
    My options are to fit a cable change 5 speed box and re use the existing mk2 chassis mounts or use the six speed box and in turn weld in all the mounts.
    Firstly is the above correct??
    Secondly, if i am to weld in the mounts,
    How will i know the exact position to weld them in??
    I would imagine it'd be easy to be out 20-30mm on the welded mount position??
    Any help or suggestions appreciated.
    Cheers..Shane

2. shane d Forum Member

Did a search btw but still unsure as to accurate position of welded mounts.

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

from what I understand so far the mk2 mounts do bolt up but the turbo hits it, this is why you normally see them with mk4 side mounts. I'm not 100% sure though, I was trying to get information out of edition38 thread but it was a bit like blood out of stone situation :lol:

4. shane d Forum Member

Tks for your reply.
    Did some reading on this and it seems the mk2 mount can be cut to avoid the turbo.

5. shane d Forum Member

I have decided to use the 5 speed box along with the PD130 engine.
    I'll probably need to fab a custom rear mount which is no problem.
    I don't want to weld in mounts because the van is really really straight.
    I'll no doubt be on here for some more info as the conversion progresses ;)
    Cheers

6. sam_51 Forum Member

i have a 6speed box pd150 corect subframe re welded to the fit Box, the o2m box mount everything you need to just bolt the engine in a day let me know if interested sam_51@msn.com

7. rallye13 Paid Member Paid Member

I fitted the mk4 side mounts and used the mk2 front and rear mounts with an 02J 5 speed.

To make sure I mounted the engine in the correct place I removed the turbo, bolted the mk2 rear engine mount to the block and fitted the engine on the 3 original mk2 mounts.

I then fitted the mk4 side mounts.

You have to remove some of the passenger chassis leg, and weld in the raised part of the mk4 chassis leg on the drivers side.

I also used the mk4 pedal box and bulk head.

Hope this helps.

I do have some pics if required.

Rich

8. S3-Dan New Member

9. momk2 New Member

hi guys, my name is maurice and i stay out in portugal, about a year ago a got a mk2 gtd, and wanted to swap out the old lump for a 130pd, anyone know how to do the wiring? or if i can buy one allready made???? thanks

10. scruffydubber Paid Member Paid Member

11. shane d Forum Member

Hi lads.
    Thanks for the replies,
    I'm back rooting at this again :-)