mk2 gti 1.8 16v

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by jonny2cakes, Aug 12, 2010.

1. jonny2cakes New Member

hi everyone

ive just recently purchased a mk2 gti 1.8 16v (my dream car) but have some issues that you guys may be able to help.

1. the seal that runs above the car door at the top and all the way down the rest of the car has fallen out and is letting in water , is there anyone out there that sells them and seals for the rest of the car ?( i want to replace them all in due time )

2. the windscreen wipers work but only on the fastest setting and dont return to the natural position when turned off , any ideas on what this problem might be and how to fix ? also parts ?

3. if i remove the clocks from the car ( speedo and rev gauge etc etc ) and bought one from another vehicle and the milage is different is this illegal or not ?

4. the indicator switch only turns itself off when turning right not left , ideas on how to fix and parts ?

5. do mk2 golfs come with central locking 1991 plate ?

6. is there a company out there that has a catalogue of parts inc pictures ( so i can identify ) for my mk2 gti ?

any help on any of these matters will be of great help to me and hope to hear responses soon

thanks my VW brothers and sisters

2. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

First off welcome and congrats on the new motor :)

1. I'd start with trying VW, then GPC, then BBT (big boys toys) and then failing that the classifieds on here or the scrappy.

2. Not sure on this one - maybe try changing the relay?

3. I don't think it's illegal providing you keep your insurance up to date. However it might damage the resale value of the car. You can 'adjust' the mileage to match I'm sure ;):lol:

4. Take the steering wheel off and check the canceling tabs.

5. Mine did but the easiest way to check is look under the passenger rear light in the boot. Are there vacuum lines and a big pump wrapped in foam? If so that's factory fitted.

6. Big boys toys do one and http://www.vagcat.com/ is quite useful for finding parts, diagrams etc.

Hope that's of some help.

3. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

4. jonny2cakes New Member

more Mk2 gti issues

hi thanks guys its much appreciated

more problems ive just discovered today.

1 i found that the passenger side front and rear footwell was flooded after a heavy downpour of rain on friday so i removed the side panels and the plastic membrane to see if it was leaking through there but seemed dry . any other suggestions ?????

2 when i removed the clocks today to replace the old illumination bulbs with LEDs noticed that the printed circuit board has splits in and tears , are they easy to buy and where from ?

3 the drivers side door bottom hinge seems to have alot of movement and catches on closing is it the pin that needs replacing or the full hinge ???

sorry to keep pestering you for answers but you guys and gals are amazing and alot better than me !!!:thumbup:

5. neil kaye Forum Junkie

1 check your sunroof drain hole isnt corroded mine did this and the water came out near the seal,just next to where the side screw goes in for the lower glove box shelf

2 contact mikeh he had a cheap set of clocks going,for a 16v chances of getting a printed circuit is low

6. DC75

DC75 Forum Member

when you take your clocks out swap the speedo's over so you keep your original milage.