mk2 GTI 16V lift pump

Discussion in 'K-Jetronic OEM injection' started by Lawrence0685, Sep 9, 2014.

1. Lawrence0685 New Member

Hi there!

I've changed the lift pump and the strainer more or less a couple of months ago (genuine VAG).
    Then today, when I've started the car I've noted a very light buzz coming (with engine at idle) from the back of the car.
    I've noted the "zzzzz" because it's the first time I move the car with both the windows closed and the radio turned off.
    So... Is it normal to hear the light buzz of a lift pump when you're inside the car or I have to worry about it?
    I want to underline the buzz seems very far and it's not very loud

2. Gambit

Gambit Paid Member Paid Member

Are you sure its not the main pump you are hearing? Youll still hear it in car

3. Lawrence0685 New Member

Hi Gambit!
    And thanks for your reply!
    It's the lift pump because the buzz clearly comes from the fuel tank; it's a very light "zzzzzz". Maybe it's normal but since I've no comparison with another GTI (my first Golf was a GL 1.6 liters) I can not understand if it's something to worry about or not.

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yes its normal to hear the lifter pump, you have to be listening out for it though as you say its very feint.

5. Lawrence0685 New Member

Hi rubjonny and thanks.

So I will not worry anymore if the lift pump is making her good buzz. I can assume it's normal and means she's working.
    Since this car made me really, really mad, when I hear a new noise coming out from somewhere, the heart attack is just beyond the bend...
    Until now, the only 1990's things still fitted on her, are the alternator, the pas, and the k-jet fuel distributor. In one year and a half I've really renewed everything...

6. Lawrence0685 New Member

Update

During lunchtime I went to local VW dealer to clear the situation. They said everything is fine and that buzz is perfectly normal.
    So I can confirm the pump is ok!