Mk2 GTI 8V (EV engine so K/Jet) timing Q please?

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Rustbuster, Nov 20, 2023.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

DX is just the MK1 version of the EV, they're basically identical and use the same part number dizzy for the same year if that makes sense

Rustbuster likes this.
  2. Rustbuster

Rustbuster Paid Member Paid Member

Brilliant, thanks for the shout.:thumbup:

3. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

4. Rustbuster

Rustbuster Paid Member Paid Member

Yes, it’s just a cheap one though off eBay.

5. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

Was going to suggest you could take the start / end vacuums for the new canister and we could see if they match the figures in RJ's chart and the same for the ones I have here?

I was initially measuring things while the canister was off the dizzy and it was easy to see when the arm started to move, right up to the point it reached the end of its travel - that's basically for the distance it travels along that slot I mentioned elsewhere.

When the canister's back on the dizzy it's not so easy to judge because the arm / slot's out of sight but still doable, if a little less accurate.

I found the readings for either method to be pretty consistant over 3x identical canisters.

When you measure them on the dizzy the initial / start point stays the same, but goes up to a slightly higher vacuum finishing point.

I'm guessing that's because the arm's now connected to the inner plate it has to move creating additional resistance to overcome as it pulls.

If you're interested let me know and I can try and compare what you find.