MK2 GTI 8V Exhaust

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by RogerT, May 29, 2012.

1. RogerT New Member

The other job that needs to be done is to replace the exhaust after Curborough...

I dont seem to be able to source an original exhaust though VW so was about to order the standard system from VW Heritage when I came across this on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Golf-G...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43b026ee07

Anyone tried this out? The say is is an identical copy to VW and at 69 from the manifold all the way back to backbox it is cheap.

Thought I would get some feedback. If they dont work it will be VW heritage.

Regards,

Roger

2. mbuk2456 Forum Member

I have also been looking at this and I'm keen to find out if they are any good as I'm having exhaust troubles! 79 quid delivered just sounds to good to he true though!

3. jonlikescad Forum Member

I already posted a thread on hoffman exhausts back in late December - didn't get much info either although we thought that they should be reasonably good.

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245315&highlight=hoffman

Haven't bit the bullet yet - perhaps if a number of us are interested then we could all buy a "share" of the system. One person then fits it to their car and if they're happy then they buy out the other people and keep the system. If not happy we get a refund.

Or one person could just buy the system and report back I guess!

Roger, I can't see anywhere where the ad says this is an identical copy to VW - I think I would have bought already if that was the case. Also, it's not manifold back - its from the outlet of the downpipe back so it's just the 3 boxes.

Still cheap though. If I ever manage to find a new downpipe and manifold / 4branch at a decent price I'd be looking to take this up. I would have done this month but just bought a new telly.

Jomn

4. jonlikescad Forum Member

p.s. also comes with 2 year warranty so if it's shockingly bad you can always get a refund.

5. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

I've got a manifold and downpipe just taking up space. Please collect it in exchange for a 6 pack of beer.

6. RogerT New Member

Excuse my cr4p description. This exhaust system is from the downpipe to backbox.

With regards to identical copy to VW - I called them up which is why I know this. I am going to give this ago for my car and if it is **** I will let you all know. At 69 it is worth a punt - especially as I have today had to pay out 225 for a new front tyre for my daily steed!!!!!! Damn low profile tyres....

Regards,

Roger

7. jonlikescad Forum Member

Sounds great Roger! I emailed them the same question with regards quality through ebay but didn't hear a reply. As you say, you can't go wrong at that price with a 24mth warranty. My last backbox cost me more than this system!

Keep us updated, I'm interested to see how this turns out.

Jon.

8. mbuk2456 Forum Member

Did you put this exhaust system on your car? Is it anygood?

9. RogerT New Member

Went to order it and it was out of stock. I will be getting this system though. Will let you all know then.

I have found out that Hoffman make high quality car ramps for garages which I am told are very good quality. Let's hope their side line of mk2 golf Gti exhausts cut the mustard.

P.S Have you seen the price of the stainless steel back box from Vw heritage? Wtf?

10. mbuk2456 Forum Member

They are asking a lot for stainless back boxes, for it to pay off you would have to go through quite a few Hoffman systems! Had it confirmed that the baffles in my back box are gone so think I'm going to give Hoffman a try!

11. Cheg

Cheg Forum Member

Would be interested to hear how this turned out? Any news?

12. Admin Guest

Same here would love to know as it's a great price.

13. Fray16v Forum Member

Hoffman are a very big name in the catalytic converter market, i'v got a new hoffman 100 cell stainless cat in my auto jumble(bedroom) and it's very well made! i'd buy this exhaust if i needed one.

14. RogerT New Member

Purchased the system today and having it fitted Saturday. Will let you know how I get on with it.

Still need to solve the green indicator faint light coming on plus the headliner though. I am told the continual faint green light is a bush on the steering rack and the garage fitting the exhaust are going to have a go. Headlining can wait until winter but I am going to give the boiled linseed oil mixed with white spirit a go on the outer black plastic and arches.

Regards roger

15. Admin Guest

This will be my next purchase too, bargain :thumbup:

16. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

faint green light on dash could be the stalks or hazard switch at fault, not sure how it could be a rack bush!

17. jonlikescad Forum Member

I'm glad my original question has finally got some interest! :( lol :clap:

please do keep us updated - I will be looking to buy this for ours too, the drone from my 16v rear box is horrid :/

18. mbuk2456 Forum Member

Im going to replace my exhaust system on the weekend, ive noticed that the rubber bung that sits above the rear silence hanger between the rear and middle silencers is missing. Does this bung stop the exhaust hitting on the rear axle? Or is it a waste of time getting another one? i notice that vw heritage stock them but no local factors seem to have them

19. RogerT New Member

When I push the steering wheel towards the dash the light will go out and the indicators work. The head unit used to cut out sometimes but I have suffered this before with this snap on Sony face off. I changed the stalks as I thought the rear wipe mechanism was fudged and also the hazard button was split so both stalks are new. The faint light issue came after the new stalks and also the wipers do not always return back to initial position. The bush on steering rack has been suggested to me for a change by a reputable garage as once this is done the nut that holds the steering wheel on can be tightened with no slack and hence will hold tighter as similar to when I push the steering in towards the dash... It's worth a shot. I have the old stalks to test mind to check if the new stalks are the culprit.

Regards

Roger

20. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yeah that'll be your stalks, probably the clips that hold it together have snapped allowing them to open up a bit and make poor contact. when you push the wheel it squeezes em closed. either that or the plugs are not fully clipped into the stalks, were the stalks genuine vw or pattern? new or 2nd hand?

Pushing the wheel wont do anything electrically, the only contact the wheel itself makes is for the horn slip ring :)