MK2 GTI 8v PB Engine Conversion (Wont Start!)

Discussion in '8-valve' started by JayCaddy, Jun 29, 2016.

1. JayCaddy New Member

Hello guys,

Hope you're all well.

This is my last place to turn before giving up completely, I hope someone is able to help.

Currently putting a MK2 Golf GTI 8v PB into my MK1 Caddy, originally a 1.6 Diesel. However, we're having an issue that we just can't get our heads around.

The engine will fire on the first time round, but rev extremely high for a couple seconds then cut out. Any attempts after that won't fire due to the engine being flooded. You then have to dry out the spark plugs etc, then you're back where you started. Also when cranking over, there's an awful lot of Fuel Vapor? steaming out the air filter. Does anyone know why we may be having this over fueling issue?

We've tried 3 ECU's, 2 ICU's, 3 MAF Sensors, Coolant Sensors, Injectors.

It's using a Bosch 044 inline fuel pump, which is running on it's own relay. Fuel is obviously making it to the engine, and also returning to the tank.

Literally baffled by the whole thing, and would truely appreciate any help you can give.

Many thanks,
    Jay

2. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Do you have a good earth from gearbox/starter motor to body/batt neg?

3. molegti Forum Member

It sounds like the symptoms of a fried ECU - is the earth to the gearbox in place and clean?

4. JayCaddy New Member

Yep, we've gone over kill on that as we don't want to blow any ECU's. All new earth straps and wires. Battery Neg, to Chassis to Gearbox, and to starter.

I can't even begin to explain how frustrating this is. It was a perfectly working engine in the previous MK1 it belonged too.

5. JayCaddy New Member

And we have use 3 ECU's to be sure.

6. Hofmiester New Member

I had a similar issue on mine, ran super rich and cut out shortly after starting. The Diaphragm in the Fuel pressure reg had split and so the car was pumping fuel into the intake via the vacuum line

7. JayCaddy New Member

We've replaced the Pressure Reg too, so annoying.

8. JayCaddy New Member

UPDATE: It will now fire every time with flooding, but it'll just rev high and cut out right away. If you hold your foot on the accelerator it'll stay running, but very badly/lumpy. Air leak?

9. molegti Forum Member

Guessing a little bit now to open debate now so don't buy any parts however airflow meter? I seem to remember mine revving up really high then dying when I forgot to plug it back in.

Air leak would fairly easy to check too particularly the hose that joins the airbox to the throttle body, maybe if its old its cracked.

Edit: Sorry, you've checked the airflow meter - is the wiring good though?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  10. JayCaddy New Member

It's a strange one, we've replaced and tested so many parts, that it actually no longer makes sense. So frustrating, and everything is wired up exactly that same as my friends which is working perfectly. We've now gone back to looking at mechanical parts, as apposed to electrics. Due to the high revving, and lumpy running when accelerator is open, we're going to take the inlet manifold of and make sure it's sealed properly.

Will keep everyone updated with any progress or new symptoms,

Thanks!

11. Hofmiester New Member

Before you go to all the hassle to take the manifold off. Get some carb or brake cleaner and while the car is idling, spray it onto the various areas where there could be a leak. You should hear the idle rise as it sucks in the very flammable fluid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Hofmiester New Member

It could also be an injector O ring

13. Dox! Forum Member

I'd block off the breather system and vacuum hose connection to the servo and try again, if the engine is revving with the throttle closed then it has to be drawing air from somewhere?

14. Hofmiester New Member

Good call, block off anything that isn't needed to run. Could it also be a faulty injector? Stuck open?

15. JayCaddy New Member

PROBLEM SOLVED: It was drawing air through the inlet manifold. New gaskets and bolts, now running. Sounding a bit fast, but I'm sure we can sort that.

Thanks to everyone for your time and suggestions, been a fantastic help!

EZ_Pete likes this.