Mk2 Gti Headlining

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by Somerset Red, Nov 30, 2020.

1. Somerset Red New Member

Hi there

My car has started to recently suffer from the classic problem of sagging headlining over the parcel shelf. I have done a bit of research and see that repairing this, is not necessarily straight forward and can often not work.

Has anyone bought or had experience of using one of these complete replacement headliners you can now buy on eBay for £154? (see the 2 links below)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MK2-VW-G...rentrq:1a9f6dfc1760ad4a4ceb8edaffe0d34e|iid:1

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MK2-VW-G...rentrq:1a9f6dfc1760ad4a4ceb8edaffe0d34e|iid:1

It looks like the perfect solution, but are they any good or are they just cheap aftermarket rubbish?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers Paul

2. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I’ve heard they’re pretty good. I’m going to buy one for mine

3. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

Have a look at some Youtube vids.
    Mine was mainly intact until I slid something through the boot and caught the headlining. Then the full width of the headlining dropped above the rear seats. I've temporarily stuck it back using Trim-fix high temp adhesive in advance of doing a "proper" job in the future.
    I used a scrubbing brush to remove the loose foam from both the "card" and the material. I sprayed the glue on both surfaces, let it dry then used a radiator paint roller from the centre back and out. I was expecting it to look pants but aside from some minor pleating where the material has stretched at the edges it's OK.
    Warning. Mask everything off and cover the seats. The glue can spit off and is a pig to remove from the seat material.
    Good luck.

4. craigt New Member

I've just purchased and taken delivery of the Myrtle fibreglass one that comes with a glued black lining. looks a very nice piece of kit, but i wont be testing the 'fit' until later on in the process. £230 total by the time VAT and £45 delivery (Huge 'parcel') is added. Quality of the finish is good, took about a week to be delivered from order. Had never heard of myrtle before, but their products look good.