Mk2 GTI (Manufacturer's C02/km Emissions)

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by costel1969, Jun 12, 2019.

1. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

Folks,
    Could anyone provide accurate VW data for the level of Co2 generated by a standard Mk2 Golf GTI (8v)

I'm dealing with those complete and utter morons at the Irish Revenue and they are stating an emission level of 192 and to me in my lay opinion that sounds strong (I thought the Mk2 GTI was in the 160-170 region)

Obviously the higher the emissions, the more tax you pay and I've paid a s**tload to them.

I'm appealing the amount of VRT that I paid to import the car from the UK, any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Don't think you'll find "accurate VW data" 'cos it wasn't really being measured as an index of anything back when the mk2 was in production.
    Best bet is the equivalence to mpg, so look up what the overall claimed mpg is for a 8V MK2 GTi, then find a recent car with the same (claimed) mpg, and see what its CO2 classification is.

3. costel1969

Ok, let me ask a different way, does anyone have an old VW Golf Mk2 sales/technical brochure that gives the official MPG figures for a 1990/91 Golf GTI? If you have could you PM me a scan of the page with the fuel consumption figures on it? I will do my own calculations on Co2 if I have the MPG figures.
    Thanks again.

4. costel1969

All OK - I got an official VW brochure for the 1991 Mk2 GTI & 16V - sometimes ebay really is handy

5. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

If you wouldn't mind posting back with the number you come up with for the CO2, it might be useful for others (and interesting to see how close or otherwise it is to the Irish Revenue number). :thumbup:

6. costel1969

My pleasure - average MPG of urban cycle, @ 56MPH and @ 75MPH = 38.5 MPH which in turn equates to 7.34l/100 kms
    By my calculations this amounts to 170.28 Co2 which in turn equates to 27% of OSMP (Open Sale Market Price)
    Those tossers have the car levied at 34% of OSMP which to me equates to a 400 euro increase on an already unacceptable 1,100 Euros

7. costel1969

I should say as well they have the emissions pinged for a Mk2 at 192 and to add further insult to injury they don’t even have that model on their website ‘calculator’ - idiots

8. costel1969

Sorry for banging on about this but it’s extremely frustrating dealing with these morons and it’s nothing but a money grab - if the car was 30 years old it’s a fixed charge of 200 Euros (emissions be damned). I have already appealed and got a ‘generous’ 102 Euros back but I’m going down swinging on this one and I’ll be damned if they try and swindle me when I have the actual manufacture specifications

9. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

As a fellow Irish mk2 GTI owner I can sympathise, but the CO / emissions on a mk2 are going to be a lot higher than a modern econobox, look at the service manual figures for CO at idle for example, 1.8% vs 0.2 or 0.3 for a modern car from the mid "00"s. we get our mpg on mk2s from the massive weight saving compared to newer stuff.
    Also those absolute f#@kwits in Revenue very obviously know or care nothing for cars, especially older ones. They can't understand why we don't all want to roll around in new D4D Auris's. Barstewards.

10. costel1969

I agree Tristan and you're absolutely right regarding CO for the Mk2 but they're trying to compare apples to oranges plus this emissions business didn't hit Ireland until 2008 when car tax began to be assessed that way. I have paid those clowns 1,532.00 Euros for my sins to bring that car in - I mean that's just lawless and completely unjust and then of course if the car was an '89 as opposed to a '91 (200 Euros) and it wouldn't matter if it was belching the most noxious fumes you could ever imagine. I'm glad I'm working in Canada, you have a fighting chance of making a few quid here, the Revenue would take everything you have over there and still come back for more and that just doesn't sit well with me.

11. costel1969

Folks - just to provide an update on the above - for once the little guy has won a battle. The 'wonderful' Irish Revenue have agreed that their determination of C02 emissions for a Mk2 Golf GTI were incorrect and consequently I am getting a refund of 400 Euros. They have accepted that the emissions for the an 8V GTI are 170g CO2. So far any of my Irish or any other brethren that may be bringing one to Ireland that has not hit the magic 30 years old you will pay 27% of OSMP and not 34%. Coupled with that please note the following formula: 1g/km CO2 = 0.043103448275862 litres/100km. Regardless of the car make that is your basis for determining accurate CO2 emissions for older models and by association what VRT levy they will charge you. I hope this will help other souls as this certainly helped me.