Mk2 Gti PB engine cut wire

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by valvemiester, Jun 14, 2018.

1. valvemiester

valvemiester Paid Member Paid Member

20180614_191639.jpg Hi wonder if anyone can help me I found this today. I see it' supposed to go back into the loom in the scuttle area its the plug connctor next to the ecu red/white wire I can't see were it's supposed to go the car is a 91 J reg 8v PB mk2 golf gti, it has an after market Clifford alarm fitted but it doesn't work by the looks of it as it starts ok without trying to operate the alarm the only problem I have is the fuel pump will keep running all the time the ignition is switched on. Any help much appreciated

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

It slides onto that metal forked thing sticking out the side of the ecu bracket .

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

they're all like that dont worry, the wire is for the lambda probe heater which obviously UK spec dont have :)

4. valvemiester

Thank you Tristan and Rubjohnny I was a bit worried as when I checked my other 8v PB the wire went off into the wiring loom. I thought the cut wire may have something to do with my fuel pump running all the time :( oh well ripping out the old alarm system anyway so see if that makes a difference.

5. timo16v

timo16v Paid Member Paid Member

Fuel pump running constantly is also a symptom of the ecu having lost its earth ......should be one to the head from scuttle and one from stud by battery to top rear gearbox bolt.
    If it has lost its earth it frys the ecu causing fuel pump to constantly run.

6. valvemiester

Hi thanks Timo16v I had cleaned every earth cable and the fuel pump still ran constantly engine starts fine. Anyway since then taken ecu out and put it in my 8v PB mk2 golf gti daily driver and no fuel pump running and won't start took it out put the original ecu in my daily driver works fine. Then put the ecu that came out of the mk2 with the fuel pump running all the time back in and tried it no pump running car turns over but won't start so guess it's the ecu finally dying ?

7. Spacecowboy Paid Member Paid Member

Did you try putting the 'good' ecu in the car with the original problems too?

8. valvemiester

Hi no haven't risked it yet in case I knacker the good ecu but that's the next thing to try, I had found some corrosion on the old ecu pins (the one in the car with the pump running all the time) luckily the car wiring connectors are all ok I cleaned all these up but still the same.

9. valvemiester

Hi does anyone know what is the difference between the two part numbers please is it a software state and are they interchangeable as two of my mk2 golf gti's that run have exactly the same part number but the ecu in the car with the fuel pump running all the time has the slightly different part number at the end, thanks in advance
    20180612_124646.jpg 20180626_164835.jpg

10. rubjonny

037906022N doesnt exist in ETKA but I've seen it on various mk2 digi so it will be fine, plus the bosch part number is the same for both :)

11. valvemiester

Hi Rubjohnny thanks for the reply I will stick it in and try it, the 037906022N tech's are in both my running mk2 golf guy's the 037906022DB is the one in the car with the fuel pump running all the time.

12. valvemiester

Just wanted to say thank you to all for your advice I swapped in a good ecu from a running mk2 project in waiting it now works fine, also luckily found a spare ecu in a box of spares from a non running rotten mk2 gti I had scrapped over a year ago exactly the same part number as the knackered one and works a treat :thumbup:

13. rubjonny

lovely stuff! now keep that battery earth well maintaned :p

14. valvemiester

Will do in my defence it was like it when I picked it up it was a spares or repair car well two cars in fact ( buy one get one free)

15. timo16v

timo16v Paid Member Paid Member

Always pays to keep a spare digi ecu in the garage...cheap enough too:thumbup: