Mk2 Gti running issues (yeah, another!)

Discussion in '8-valve' started by DubLass, Oct 10, 2010.

1. DubLass Forum Member

Just bought a Gti which I think is Digifant, and it's got a few running issues.

1) The revs are up and down, I have a spare ISV, here is a pic of it in its current state. I've noticed there is nothing plugged in to the pins on the right hand side....is that right?

[​IMG]

2) When first started (when its cold I guess) it feels as if it wants to stall.

3) It smells of fuel.

4) What is this pipe? (A) Its cracked and aged and I could do with a new one.

5) Should my cambelt be exposed? Prev owner said it had been changed not so long ago, but its got an indented line in the middle.

[​IMG]

6) The car kangaroo's a bit when I'm driving normally. Its almost as if I'm in the wrong gear, but I'm not.

I don't know a lot about engines so please keep it simple :lol:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
  2. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Looks like the pipe labled A is a fuel line.

Please move it away from the pulley. As you said above it smells of fuel, make sure this pipe isn't leaking and rubbing on the pully. Looks dangerous to me!!!!!!!!

Also there is another pipe which doesent look familar. The one just to the right of the arrow labled A.

3. danTbone Forum Member

first pic is the i.s.v will need to be connected.
    the pipe looks like a fuel pipe going to the fuel rail,or fuel pressure reg , cant really see it will need replacing .
    cam belt dont look to good

4. Richard Mk2

[​IMG]

How mine looks, but in this pic the airbox has been removed.

5. Richard Mk2

Also, there should definitely be something plugged into the ISV!!

6. nealey Forum Junkie

That engine bay looks a mess of random, obscure pipes to me.

As for your questions, the isv should be plugged in, the cambelt should have a top cover on it, pipe a looks like it could be the fuel pipe to the fuel rail but it has been routed the wrong way and has probably been replaced due to the old one perishing.

7. DubLass Forum Member

I've just spent an hour reading loads of threads about ISV's... and yeah, it should be plugged in!
    Why would the seller unplug it? Was it to hide something? I'm not bothered as I got it cheap and knew it needed work.

I see your cambelt is exposed Richard..is it ok to be exposed?

8. nealey Forum Junkie

Is that the plug tucked under the fuel rail in pic 1?

9. DubLass Forum Member

It could well be yeah, for some stupid reason I didn't think to actually LOOK for something that would plug in haha My mind must've been elsewhere. I'm blonde tbf.

10. nealey Forum Junkie

Be carefull, people will start asking for bread on head photos!

11. neil kaye Forum Junkie

i think it is,iirc it should have a yellow wire and white,if so thats the plug,with that not plugged onto the isv could be why its trying to stall
    personally wouldnt run it without a cove for the cam belt,you can get them new on ebay cheap enough

12. Richard Mk2

Yea its fine as long as there isn't anything rubbing against it. Mine's not there as i broke the last one, and quite like the look of it without one.

Here is what the ISV plug should look like :thumbup: -

[​IMG]

13. nealey Forum Junkie

Would you still be saying that if a bit of debris got in there and shredded the cambelt?

14. DubLass Forum Member

I'll get one ordered now. Does the cambelt need changing? The line down the middle seems a bit weird. But really don't want to change it if I don't have to because it'll cost.

I'm going to plug in the ISV in the morning and see what it runs like. Can't understand why it's unplugged, unless they forgot. Sod it I'm going to test it now..

15. Richard Mk2

I really doubt that would actually happen. You more likely to get debris caught in the lower parts of the belts, not near the top of the engine lol :lol:

16. neil kaye Forum Junkie

cover
    and yes i would have the cam belt done,it will cost more in the long run if it snaps

17. Richard Mk2

May have been replaced and they have forgot to plug it back in. If i was you i would move that fuel line so it sits behind the air intake pipe. There should be clips there for it to clip in to.:thumbup:

18. neil kaye Forum Junkie

could have removed the plug to try get it to idle better,see what happens when its plugged in

19. DubLass Forum Member

Ok, just plugged it in then started it, the idle was quite high, consistent, but high.

20. nealey Forum Junkie

I didnt say debris would stay in the top of the cambelt, gravity would make sure it finds it way to the bottom of the cambelt covers and the lowest point is under the bottom pulley, something sitting in there could soon rub through the belt, you laugh but ive seen it happen!