MK2 GTi Speaker upgrade?

Discussion in 'ICE' started by mboon, Jun 27, 2010.

1. mboon New Member

Hi all, not really looking for massive sound like subs etc, just want a nice deep bass, not blowing the windows out etc.

For my BMW I found some speaker adapters that went under the original covers in the rear of my car.

Cannot find anything for the MK2 GTi.

I dont want to cut the parcel shelf and really dont want big speakers spoiling the standard look.

So any ideas? any place I can get some adapters? what sizes are the fronts as well while I am asking lol.

Thanks

Mark

2. nealey Forum Junkie

if you do a search you should be able to find the sizes, i know in my mk2 ive got rainbow speakers in the fronts and jbl's in the rear all fitted in the original locations.

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

6x4 in the parcel shelf supports, you can get decent ones if you shjop around. i have a quality stealth shelf with 6x9s in though, can get better sounding ones for less money. the mdf stealth shelf is important, really improves the sound. just chopping holes in the oem shelf wont make for good sound

4. mboon New Member

tried searching and it bought back hardly anything helpful so thought I would ask.

Didnt really want a stealth shelf, had one in a RS Turbo and it just destroyed the bits that supported the shelf.

Looks like I might have to make some adapters up then to fit some 6x9's in the rear and get some decent front speakers.

5. rubjonny

had mine for nearly 6 years without issue. the trick is to get a good quality one and make sure its fitted properly before you slam the boot. if you aint carefull the pins will snap, which you can do even with an oem shelf!

6. mboon New Member

I just found the weight of the shelf was cracking the side supports on my old one.

I shall have a look and see what I can find.

7. rubjonny

mk2 shelves are strong enough to holed the weight of it, just the back bit that curves around the pin to stop the shelf moving forward that are fragile, if you know what I mean. as i say had my shelf in for years and no issues. soem are better than others though, mine is very well made and looks almost identical to the factory shelf, even down to the ribs etc on it. tbh the main reason i bought it is i couldnt find an uncut oem shelf anywhere and this one came up cheap :lol:

8. theboymike Forum Junkie

This thread got me thinking about the speakers in my Mk2 (not that I can afford to put petrol in it, let alone upgrade the audio [:^(])

Anyway, A quick squiz revealed that the ones in the parcel shelf supports are indeed 6x4", while the ones in the dash are 3.5". I though the latter would be a pain to source, but they seem like a pretty standard fitting.

If you're jammy enough to have speakers in the doors, apparently they're 5.25".

:thumbup:

9. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

yes they are 5.25 in the doors or 13cm and you can get custom fit ones from sony, alpine etc... to fit in the pods pretty easily.