mk2 gti wont run :(

Discussion in '8-valve' started by dub-low-sport, Dec 22, 2009.

1. dubmeup Forum Member

Just a thought but this is kind of the symptons related to a dodgy hall sender in the dizzy. Mayo in breather etc is very common. Definitely worth cleaning it all out for sure but more often than not it's just caused by condensation.

2. dub-low-sport Forum Member

nice one dubmeup it has been playing on my mind i mentioned it earlier on but think i will just change my dizzy and see how it goes :)

3. 50ftdubdemon Forum Member

checked the online pdf haynes and like you say.. diagram is right! ie clockwise enrichens.

so been over to the garage to check my haynes and it says anticlockwise enrichens! can only think its cos its an old manual (93.. before they halved the content and started with the spanners [:x] ). pretty sure the diagram is a straight copy from elsawin.. haynes people obviously assumed ze germans would get it right then tippexed it once they realised

4. dubmeup Forum Member

Ah the good old Haynes book of lies.

5. dub-low-sport Forum Member

haha i have found a few things in the manual that is wrong myself the main one that got me was it says it covers all models to a gti 16v all through the reg range but when you look at the wiring diagrams in the back it only shows pre-90 fuse box and doesnt maention a single thing about the post-90

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

have you got the green one then?
    it does actually have some post-90 diagrams, but nowhere near a full set for any model. but as you say no actual pictures of the fusebox or relay/fuse layout for post-90. also the pin layout for testing of the 16v idle switch is wrong, plus no mention of track rod lengths for the pas rack.

i made a thread for haynes errors a while ago, might be worth adding this in :)

7. dub-low-sport Forum Member

no its the red one iv got and ye i will add it in sum time :)

8. rubjonny

hmm will have to have a look at mine then!

9. dub-low-sport Forum Member

had a bit of a result today . my step dad had a look at it and he came up with the idea that it sounds like there is crap in the fuel rail so i got it tp to pressure and unscrewed the bolt out of the end of the rail and let the fuel drain into a clear clean tub. when i looked at the fuel it was full of little black bits so i did this afew times and it seemed to sort the problem out it ran fopr about 45 mins then as usual it missfired and cut out . i am going to try this again tommorow to see if anymore rubbish comes out of the rail. does anyone know the best way to clean the fuel system e.g fuel lines , rail , injectors etc?

10. rubjonny

what i would do is remove both the fiuel rail lines and check the condition. chances are they're all knackered, the black bits could be from the inside of these lines.
    next replace the fuel filter and point the feed line into a container and prime the pump a couple o times, that'll clear out any residual crap in the feed line. return line nbo need to mess wi it, anything in there will be stuffed back into the tank. trouble is, those bits wont have done your fuel injectors any good :(

11. dub-low-sport Forum Member

o.k will try that do u suggest changing my injectors?

12. rubjonny

if all else fails aye. shouldn't cost you too much for a good set of 2nd hand injectors :)

13. dub-low-sport Forum Member

sweet cheers will try that also my alternator decided to pack up on me today , my sub kept cutting out so i checked my amp and it was reading 18.1 v and as we know it should be 14.5 so i disconnected to power wire from the alternator and started the engine after about 2 mins of running it decided it wanted to throw something out of itsself into my forhead lol.
    do you recon this might be connected to the problem as i dont know how long it has been doing it for?

14. rubjonny

could cause the ecu to go mental if it was getting 18v rather than 14 i suppose

15. dub-low-sport Forum Member

well going to get a new one this weekend anyway so will let you know what is happening. are you going ultimate dubs this year??

16. rubjonny

dunno maybe, i dont have a lot of weekends 'spare' if you get me :lol:

17. dub-low-sport Forum Member

haha know wot u mean lol :)

18. dub-low-sport Forum Member

o.k then so i have put my new alternator on and it is running again as i was stood looking at the missifing engine something struck me , i knew the vac line goping to the fpr was o.k but was the fpr ? so i took the return off and started it up ranit for about 5 mins and not a single bit of fuel was returned. it is pretty obvious now what it causing the problem. i golt a price on the fpr and they want 60 plus vat . does anyone know were i can get a cheap one from or are they the same as a mk3 as they would probs be easier to hunt down in a scrapper?

19. 50ftdubdemon Forum Member

according to vagcat fpr 037133035 was also fitted to 1.3 polos (87-90), 1.3 golfs/jettas (87-92), g60s and 1.8 passats (88-90).. all of which were digi. mk3 2e used 037133035C and looks like it was built into fuel rail ie totally different. 60 notes is well steep.. reckon you could get a decent adjustable for less!

20. dub-low-sport Forum Member

sweet nice one mate anyideas were to get a decent adjustable one from?