MK2 HID Conversion..??

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by jono395, Aug 9, 2008.

1. jono395 Forum Member

hey

what do you guys think of the HID conversion??

im thinking of doing it on my mk2 golf...

any thoughts?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2008
  2. gunit-84 Forum Member

they are well worth it, i run some hi and low beam 6000k ones off ebay, they look cool but also do a wicked job! i work nights so these were essential, get some!;)

3. jono395 Forum Member

4. kells Forum Member

Love mine..

absolutly awesome but i dont recommend installing them on non projector lamps as you will dazzle and **** off other roas users plus you wont get the best light pattern, but it will still be alot bette rthan standard set up

mine are a 6k kit, very bright, and ill never go back to non Hid now

[​IMG]

5. David Number 2 Forum Member

[​IMG]

worth it, but point your lights down so it doesnt f**k people off!

6. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

7. gunit-84 Forum Member

yeah there the exact ones i got and from the same ebay shop! not had any problems with them. comes with plug and play kit too. didnt cut one wire! was a good quality kit. get some!![:D]

8. jono395 Forum Member

yeh thats cool, ill get some of them then[:D].. but are you on standard lenses??... because i am ATM..

and by what "StuMc" says, i dont think it would look very good, so id probably have to save for some crystal lenses 2!:(

9. gunit-84 Forum Member

yeah im using crystal crosshairs, not sure wat they will work like with the standard lens?[:s]

10. StuMc

As I said in my guide the problem with using HIDs with standard lenses, is that the pattern that refracts the normal halogen light to create the correct beam pattern, diffuses and refracts the light from the HIDs everywhere, meaning you will dazzle everyone on the roads, and no amount of adjustment of the lights will help.

Crystal lenses, while not perfect either, are far better at directing the light. If you get your beam pattern adjusted correctly before fitting then you shouldn`t have any problems.

I`ve had mine in for about 8 months now and have never had an adverse reaction from other drivers, or been stopped by the police.

Remember HID conversions are actually illegal without projector lenses, washer units, and a self levelling system. Adding all that would be a bit difficult to do, so nobody bothers.

If you are at all uneasy about `illegal` mods then don`t do it, but if it doesn`t bother you, then you will need crystal lenses first.

11. kells Forum Member

you NEED projector lights for these to work at their best, crystals will be no better than standard lenses

my twin hellas (as in my pic above and in my sig) are projector lights, car passed MOT last week with not one problem..light output from lights didnt even need adjusting and the pattern they give off is spot on..

12. StuMc

The problem there is, there aren`t any projector lenses available for Mk2s, therefore crystals are the best option.

As I said above, while not perfect, they are far better, than standard lenses, and if you`re lights are adjusted correctly then they are fine.

13. Admin Guest

am right in thinking no side lights? i don't notice any on mine with HID fitted, so will have to revert back to the std set up for MOT,
    the HID are a god send in the dark though [:D]

14. StuMc

Mine still retain the sidelight, since the HID unit only replaces the standard H4 bulb.

And, yes, you will have to swap H4s back in for you MOT. (Two minute job).

15. Admin Guest

you don't know how cowboy some of the stuf done to my mk2 actually is:lol:

16. raver2k Forum Member

how does this work on a 4lamp set up? as obviously the highbeam is in the center two lights so do you end up with hi/low in one bulb and the standard buld inn the center two lights? or can you convert all 4bulbs to hid. hope that makes sense

17. gunit-84 Forum Member

Remember HID conversions are actually illegal without projector lenses, washer units, and a self levelling system. Adding all that would be a bit difficult to do, so nobody bothers.

not sure thats 100% true, only need self leveling and cleaning if they come factory fitted. mines now been thro 2 Mots at different garages and passed both times. been stopped buy the coppers a few times ( i work nights so the coppers think im a racer or something) and nothing has ever been said about my hids, there very picky aswell, they checked all my tyre treads last time!

im not saying there 100% legal but if there not blinding folk wats the problem?

18. gunit-84 Forum Member

not sure thats 100% true, only need self leveling and cleaning if they come factory fitted. mines now been thro 2 Mots at different garages and passed both times. been stopped buy the coppers a few times ( i work nights so the coppers think im a racer or something) and nothing has ever been said about my hids, there very picky aswell, they checked all my tyre treads last time!

im not saying there 100% legal but if there not blinding folk wats the problem?

19. StuMc

HID conversions are 100% illegal. Fact.

Factory fit units are also technically outlawed, but the manufacturers get round it by fitting self levellers, projectors and washers.

In essence, if you were to retro-fit these onto your car then you `could` be legal, but this wouldn`t be the case since the law bans the actual converting to HIDs, not what kit you do/don`t use.

If you fit them correctly then they should be no more dazzling than any factory fitted cars` lights, but it`s obvious that a 15+ year old Golf wouldn`t have come from the factory with HIDs, so a clued-up/bothered copper might pull you for them.

Most coppers and some MOT testers turn a blind eye to them. It`s just pot luck which ones you encounter...

20. gunit-84 Forum Member

well thats me told!:lol:

suppose what you say is right, just depends on the mood of the copper or mot tester on the day! so far ive been lucky, but there defo staying on cos i love em and there such an improvement over standard! im sure il get collard one day!