mk2 ibiza abf's

Discussion in 'Audi/SEAT/Skoda Chat' started by Matt G, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Matt G Forum Member

thinking of buying one of these as a daily - cheaper to insure than a mk3 golf, and apparently a little bit quicker due to pulling less weight.

am i right in thinking the mk2 'beefa is based on a polo? yet can come with the abf lump in it.

what i really need to know tho is how much of it is polo n does it share anthing with the golf? thinking in terms of sourcing go faster parts im time. for example performance manifolds/arb's, maybe brake upgrades too. i noticed they are 4x100 wheel stud pattern, so am assuming its a mk2 golf set up?

cheesr in adavnce for any advice! :thumbup:

2. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

It's something like half Polo, half Golf, but can't remember if it is Mk2 or Mk3.

There is also the Cordoba (with ABF), which I have often looked for / considered.

Ask RobT or Dave R on here, who both own Ibiza with 16v engines ( & have posted within past few days)

3. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

They're weird mix and match things.

Front track is Mk2 Golf (pretty much G60 with the ARB and the 280mm brakes) and iirc has a mk3 subframe. 6n Polo rear beam I believe. Urban legend suggests the engines have lighter lifters so are a bit more lively than the VW counterpart but I've never seen it confirmed. Cordoba ABF is very much the same and the Toledo ABF is pretty much a Mk2 Jetta.

4. Matt G Forum Member

cheers for the replies.

im not too keen on the cordoba, but had one of these beefa's as my first car (the 1.4 version tho!)

so they come with the 280mm brakes already then?

5. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Yeah the Ibiza GTi has 280mm 4x100 G60 setup and should have the G60 anti-roll bar as well.

6. Matt G Forum Member

interesting, cheers.

quite a mixed bag of bits then!

7. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

To add to what others have said it shares a lot of polo. Interior is pretty much polo, same switch gear etc, same weak pedal box lol Half leather seats are nice and comfy although a bit lairy in some material. Cable conversion for the gearbox is pretty rough with a long throw.

Mine may have been a particularly bad example (bought as a donor) but my god was it rotten! Check whatever you buy very carefully if you go for one. Quick car for the couple of weeks I had it on the road though.

[​IMG]

8. Matt G Forum Member

so is the shifter mech from a mk2 golf or summet? (thinking of weighted shift rod's from mk3 or looking for shoft shift mods!)

9. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Theres two kinds of ibiza 16v, the early 1.8s which changed over 1996, and the post 96 2.0s. 1.8s have an 020 rod change box, 2.0s have the 02a cable change box, mechanism like a mk3 golf but shorter cables.

As has been said, basically a narrow track mk3 golf front, and mk4 polo rear.

256 brakes on the 8v, 280s on the 16v.

Cheers

Rob

10. Matt G Forum Member

cheers rob,

any preference on which is the berst version, the 1.8 or 2.0, seems to me peeps seem to prefer the abf.

11. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Yep, abf. Std 1.8 is a bit gutless in comparison, and might actually have the smaller brakes

12. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

The 1.8 is ADL engine iirc and is rare is fook. It's basically a KR with lamer cams and some voodoo ABF like management but without a crank sensor and ignition timing is set similar to a 2E engine.

13. Matt G Forum Member

deffo the abf for me then!