Mk2 jetta ce2, 1.9tdi to 1.6d swap

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by davidut5, Apr 5, 2023.

1. davidut5 Forum Member

Ok so, fitted a 1.6d JP on the car and have two problems with wiring.
    1- the wire to fuel shut off has no power, it is wired to g1 pin 4. If i plug in the edc15 ecu it has 12v for 1s on ignition.
    2- glow plug relay, what part number for the temp sensor? I have the 4 pin coolant temp sender, but i thing i need the 1.6d glow plug sender, I have wired the sender 1 pin to ground the other to g1 pin 3. If i short the two, the tdi glow plug relay activates and glow plugs have power. What part number for glow plug relay, as this needs to be for 1.6d.
    Did not find a good wiring for starting and glow plugs for ce2 1.6d JP.
    I have in position 3 relay number 30, and in position 12 relay number 167 i think. The 167 will need changing with 102? The number 30 is ok for na diesel?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2023
  2. davidut5 Forum Member

My bentley was missing all wiring diagrams. Got another one complete, and found the wiring i need.
    It is possible the wire i hooked up to the fuel shut off solenoid to go through ecu from g1, that is why it was only 1s activated, and with ecu disconnected it was dead, most likely this is the problem.
    Remains the glow plug relay and sensor, what parts do i need? Car is 1991 coupe jetta, engine code JP.
    As you can see, i have at least two options for glow plug relay. For the sensor, i tried 7zap, realoem, but they give a part number for the brass threaded sensor, and also say it is coolant temp and glow plugs. Some say they are two identical, some say they are not.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2023
  3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

there is no ecu relay for MK2 diesel so that can go. as you say you need to just wire the shut off valve direct to G1/4 ignition live, somewhere in the loom it must end up tapped to the old ecu I guess

if you want to use a 4 pin sensor for the older diesel what you need is one from a MK3 D or TD part number 357919501, the one on it now isn't right as one side of it is an ecu temp sensor. As the 7zap link says, they are the same for dash and glowplug on some MK1/2 diesels as they are the same resistance curve. the MK3 d/td one combines them into one sensor but on the MK1/2 you would just have 2 black temp sensors either single spade or 2 pin depending on age

but yeah you wire it to g1/3, then use the correct type MK2 diesel glowplug relay and jobs a goodun. Relay 1199206600 is the one you want for a 90 JP code, 1199207000 is only for 90-92 SB/1V engine codes.

davidut5 likes this.
  4. rubjonny

for the brass M10 threaded sensor you would use 027919501 or 049919501, and the 2 pin push fit temp sensor which fits into the plastic flange is 251919501D

davidut5 likes this.
  5. davidut5 Forum Member

Thank you so much! Got it, will have a look and report back.The drop in i need, i have plastic flanges.
    The relay in pos 3 number 30 you say, i can remove?
    Another thing i have to sort, is the in tank fuel tdi pd pump. It was relay wired on the tdi fuel shut off, now will have to run it on ignition, or, if i sort the fuel shut off it could work on ignition(i forgot how i wired it). Hope the na injection pump is ok with some positive pressure on the inlet, otherwise will have to drop/replace the tank or pickup unit.

6. rubjonny

tbh I would just drop a mk3 diesel level sender in there, save any potential hassle

7. davidut5 Forum Member

All sorted, thanks again!
    Bypassed wire to ecu for fuel shut off valve and hooked the lift pump relay to it.
    Plugged in the 6600 glow plugs relay and energized for about 40s, plugged in the temperature sensor and dropped to 7s engine cold. As a bonus the glow plug light also works on the mk3 cluster.

Attached Files:

8. davidut5 Forum Member

Any ideea, if the mk3 cluster works with w pin signal for rev counter? I have wired the tachometer from u1 pin 6 to alternator. It does not have w terminal but wired on the stator output before rectifier, on the old alternator there it goes.
    The gauge goes to redline, tried some resistor but its not working. Do i need analog to digital converter? I thought the rev counter signal is the same on mk2 mk3.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2023
  9. rubjonny

if the cluster was from a TDI it wont work from the W terminal, it expects rev counter signal from the ECU. you need MK2 diesel rev counter clocks or MK3 D/TD

davidut5 likes this.
  10. davidut5 Forum Member

Got it, thank you.

11. davidut5 Forum Member

All sorted, got the registration back and plates. About the power, wow so so slow! Top speed about 120km/h on a long long road. Tried advance, fuel screw, there is smoke but not power.