Mk2 KR 16v conversion using Corrado Loom, is it possible??

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by baypickup1915cc, Jul 1, 2022.

1. baypickup1915cc New Member

Hi peeps.
    i have got an 1989 gti that I purchased minus an engine. I have a KR engine and box from a 1992 golf that I am looking to fit.
    I purchased a Corrado KR loom secondhand on the bay as I assumed they were the same.
    I have fitted the loom to the car and am now not so sure if it’s compatibility.

the main differences I can see are as follows;

the Corrado loom seems to go through the scuttle in two places. Whereas the Golf seems to only pass though in 1 place.

the wiring plug for the wipers won’t reach the wiper motor in my Golf.

the ecu and amplifier wiring won’t reach to the ecu location on the drivers side- is the ecu in a different place in a Corrado?

On a golf there is the 2 pin plug next to the ecu that Is the ignition prime for the fuel pump. My Corrado loom has a 3 pin plug instead?
    Have I bought completely the wrong loom? Or can I use it with a few mods? I don’t mind modifying it if needs be as it is a car for track days, not a show pony!

I looked on the site and I can’t find any technical wiring information for me to compare.

any pointers would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
    Rory

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

as long as the golf is ce2 thats the main thing. there are a couple differences that you have found already, which are easily worked around if you source any old random ce2 mk2 donor loom for the required grommets and looms, or just mod what you have

the 3rd black/white pin on the plug you have found is ignition live to the ecu, you run that to the coil positive same as it is on a mk2 golf. but if you have a complete loom including bay side and ecu loom from corrado both halves will have the 3 pin plug so no problem?

on the golf the ecu loom goes thru the middle hole, and wiper thru the hole on the passenger side, and on corrado ecu is nearer the middle thats why its a little short

3. baypickup1915cc New Member

Hi, thanks for the reply.
    Yes both loom and car are ce2. The plug I have 3 wires on has black/yellow, red/white and a solid black.
    whereas my mates kr 16v I’ve been using as a comparison has black/yellow and red/white only.

also my car was originally a PB 8v, so I have 3 wires out of the plug M on the fuse box. I will need to do a mod to give the KR lift pump an ignition prime signal. how do I go about this?
    And are both pumps linked? So. When the prime signal is sent. The in tank pump, and the main pump run off the same circuit?

Tried to upload pics but it’s not working for some reason

thanks

4. rubjonny

yep so the 3rd pin is ignition live for the ecu, if need be that can be taken direct from the coil

the rear and internal wiring harness is identical between 8v and 16v so non of that needs to be touched. both pumps are connected together :) the 4th wire you're looking for is on plug K rather than M

5. baypickup1915cc New Member

So I have been plodding away with this project when I can, having had a long setback when I broke a seized bolt off on the front water outlet under the 16v manifold. I had to remove the head and send it off to me drilled and have a heli-coil fitted. This took ages and meant I couldn't get the engine fitted in and see what wiring lengths needed modding!

I have now re fitted the head and put the engine back into the car. as I previously said I am using a Corrado KR loom to convert my PB gti (both CE2) and have found that most the wiring is the same and fits.

I have however found a couple of wires that I can't seem to find homes for.....

Firstly, where the engine wiring loom goes down the offside leg, under the metering head. I have a 2 pin plug for the diaphragm pressure valve, a 2 pin plug for the overrun cut off valve, a very long 2 pin plug which I'm pretty sure goes to the slam pan for the horn.
    The one I am left with is a single brown wire with an unshielded spade connector on it. it looks like some sort of sensor wire but I can't find a home for it.

The other wire is one that I have found when I was re taping the engine loom by the oil filter switches, I cut off the old corrugated sheath that had been fitted previously to my ownership, and found a wire that had been cut and taped back.

I have a yellow wire and a blue & black wire which go on the pressure switches on the oil filter housing. I discovered a blue and white wire with these which has been snipped. does anyone know where this blue and white wire should go?

I will no doubt have a few other wiring Q's as I work my way through this conversion, so thanks in advance for any helpful tips. This site has proved invaluable for the knowledge base you guys all have.

( I have pics that I could upload but I can't work out how to get pics on here at all- any pointers on that would be appreciated too!)

6. baypickup1915cc New Member

IMG_7687.jpg IMG_7688.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2022
  7. rubjonny

as if by magic ;)

so the spade plug is probably for rad fan after-run,m if so you'll have a relay clipped above fusebox for it 220 or 31

blue/white is probably oil temp sensor for extra VDO gauge, the corrado/scirocco looms often have this in there even without oil gauge specified, if so you'll have a spade plug fusebox side of the engine loom where it then connects to the dash harness

8. baypickup1915cc New Member

Lol I managed to suss out the pics, makes it a lot easier!

I’ll check on the blue and white wire at the fuse box end. I got a feeling there is a single spade at the fuse box end.

Where would the rad over run go to, if that’s what it is for? It runs down the offside leg and all the rad wiring seems to come from the near side leg.

9. rubjonny

there would be a brass thermoswitch with a yellow band, but its not usually fitted to UK 16v. look near the inlet somewhere but you probably dont have one, just tuck it out of the way. if you let it short out the fan will be on all the time, but you could pull the relay or unplug the extra single red/white spade near the rad fan to disable it entirely

10. baypickup1915cc New Member

Bit of an update on this, plus a new problem.

So, I managed to mod the loom for the wipers by using a donor loom from a golf mk3 Gti which has the same plug and allowed me to gain the extra length required. They work correctly now.

I also found the original feed wires to the fuel pumps and fuel gauge, they were cut back and taped half way along the front to rear loom. I reconnected these using the donor loom and all work fine. I had to source a mk2 tank sander plug as I found the mk3 has different pin spacings.

after all that it’s starting and running well and I have done one track day so far without issue.

I do however have a bit of an issue with possibly the cold start system..

When I start It from cold, it will start and idle perfectly, but as soon as I open the throttle and click the micro switch on the the throttle body it will die. It dies instantly, it’s not like a fuel starvation or overfuelling problem, it dies as soon as the microswitch opens.

If I open the throttle wide it will rev and continue to run, and drives fine. But on light throttle with little blips it will die.

However , If I disconnect the blue plug to the cold start injector, then on low throttle, it’s absolutely fine.

plug it back in and it dies as soon as the microswitch opens.

After about 5 mins, I’m assuming when the WUR gets to temp, it stops cutting out with the blue plug still connected.

I have checked through the wiring and there doesn’t seem to be any breaks or crossed wires.

Anybody have any thoughts as to what to look at? I’ve checked most things and all the systems seem to be working ok ( ISV etc)

thanks

11. rubjonny

check the wiring to the over-run valve and cold throttle enrichment. the smaller metal one is the cold throttle valve and should have a p[lug with a black and white wire on it, the bigger plastic one is over-run and should have a black/yellow and brown/black. make sure the cold throttle valve wires arent shorted together anywhere, and try unplugging it see if the problem stops. if it does, the valve is shot