MK2 loses Revs and cuts out????

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by prince75bishop, May 24, 2004.

1. prince75bishop New Member

I own a 92 16V Mk2 which until recently has been running fine. All of a sudden 2 months ago I was sat at some traffic lights and it died on me. Didn't think much of it - until the last week when it has happened twice - once when I was actually driving as opposed to sitting still. After the revs have died, the car stalls and will not start for approx 3-4 minutes - then she's fine and raing to go again. This must be an electrical fault, I have had the immobilisher turned off to ensure that it is not that cutting back in. Any help gratefully received - is it the ECU? or the Halls switch on the distributor?

2. jake Forum Member

check the hall sender, also check the fuel pump relay isnt overheating (more comon on mk1 cars but you never know) also check the TCI-switch on the other end of the wires to the hall sender. Ignition switches sometimes fail very occasionaly.

3. Kompressor New Member

My mk2 16V does this aswell but now it's got to the point where it won't bloody start at all. It had a full service about 4 months ago & I've renewed practically every ignition component under the bonnet but it still won't start! [:x] My mechanic is now convinced my alarm/immobiliser is to blame so I need to get an auto-electrician on the case. Will let u know if that's the problem.

Cheers,
    Matt.

4. Chris64 New Member

I've had a similar problem in the past with my 8v Mk2 - turned out to be a dodgy fuel pump relay...

less than a tenner from VW so worth a try if you haven't already :)

5. AL

AL Forum Member

Where does the relay live? In the fuse box? Is it different for a 16v? Have a simmilar problem.

6. The Other Simon Forum Member

In the fuse box. Yes. No.

Simon.

7. daviddd Forum Member

I've had a valver stood 2 years with the same problem - it would cut out at any time, in the fast lane once, and sometimes restarted immediately, sometimes next day. I'm gonna have another go soon if I get time. I'm going to get all the relevant elec drawings together and check evrything I can, also try and check the immobiliser system if I can work it out. I haVE a new pump relay to fit. I managed to check out the TCI, Hall Sender, a couple of weeks ago, there are some good tests in Bentley, but then the fault disppeared again so couldn't carry on. These intermittent faults are a pain to sort. Funny thing is it still starts first time even after 6 months! But can't be trusted to take out until this is sorted.. [:^(]

8. mk2golf16vmad New Member

mine looses power when i get to about 4500rpm on my 16v. someone said it could be the fuel filter, gonna try and change it. do you reakon it worth changing the pump relay? :( :( [:s]

9. destructiv dave Forum Member

mk2golf16vmad, yours could be clogged injectors.

10. mk2golf16vmad New Member

How do i clean out the injectors?
    is it difficault??? :)

11. chris_s Forum Member

use some injector cleaner you put it in your petrol and run the car for a while with it in you could change your fuel filter if the revs are just dropping off is sounds like fuel pressure is dropping its easy enough to change and it only costs about a tenner so you may as well if you are still not convinced go to your local garage and ask them to carry out a fuel pressure check for you

12. mk2golf16vmad New Member

Hi peps,
    Lets see if we can sort this one!!!!!!

I changed my fuel filter but now the car is even worse.
    it starts first time ticks over ok and drives fine for 5 mins, till the engine warms up then it wont drive at all. Soon as i accelerate it judders terribly then dies, When i am on idle its ok for about 2 mins then the car starts to starve for feul and dies. the funny thing is ,is it starts straight away afterwards. Ticks over, then dies again. I have cleaned out my air filter and also changed the fuel pump reley.

I will have a fuel pressure check. Got sombody coming on tues to do a fault test on me pride and joy.
    Tanks for reading.

Any one have any ideas of the prob
    Anyone had a similer thing? [xxx]
    Edited by: mk2golf16vmad

13. chris_s Forum Member

could be a blocked fuel line you did put the new filter on the right way round didnt you with the arrow pointing towards the engine side