mk2 manual clutch cable FITTED!!

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by copeidge, Aug 9, 2009.

1. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

hello, my clutch bites really high! and i have a self adjusting clutch cable atm, it even starts to hurt my ankle after long periods.

i have recently snapped the clutch stop (little white plastic thing that keeps the clutch pedal inline with the brake pedal) which doesnt help matters.

so my plan is to go to the scrappy and get a new one.

i was also pondering about a manual adjusting clutch cable, becuase the clutch doesnt slip at all, are they an easy job to fit and adjust with out any speicalised equipment??

any help or advise is great cheers.:thumbup:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  2. daljsd Forum Member

manual cable all the way mate.

easy to fit and adjust (15 or 16mm spanner and a good grip)

ditched the auto one about 8 years ago.

3. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

is there a guide anywhere..?? or could anyone explain in words..??

also where can i get one..??

thanks for the help!
    cheers.

4. jamesa Forum Junkie

(21) 192721335G clutch cable rhd - 192721335G KUPPL.ZUG 25.7 Euro

[​IMG]

Rotate the knurled section @ 21 until you get 15 - 20mm free play in pedal

VW dealer

5. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

will i be able to give that part number to somewhere like unipart and they will know what it is..??

cheers.

6. daljsd Forum Member

I usually get mine from GSF and I ask them to give the manual one. I have never needed part numbers for it.

as for fitting, It will fit the same way as the old one so just take note when removing, only fiddly bit is releasing the sliders under the clutch arm.

to adjust it you will see a 15 or 16mm nut on the cable by the gearbox end, just loosen the nut and spin the big round plastic thing under the nut (the round plastic bit that sits on the gearbox). I can't remember which way round is to get the bitting point higher or lower but a few attempts will get you sorted.

you might need to loosen the big plastic bit all the way when fitting the cable as its alot easier, then adjust accordingly.

7. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

i went to unipart and they only do them for a mk1 and mk3..... ahhh this is doing my nut in! i think ill have to have a trip to gsf!

8. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

Hey mr. Cope

If its anything to go by the clutch pedal on mine sits really high normally too - I have taken it down a bit by adjustment, but ive learnt there is only so far you can go before its too low to engage the clutch properly and it will slip. Ideally you want a 1cm of free play in the pedal before resistance of the clutch itself. My clutch was new last October ish and it just seems to naturally sit higher than the other pedals, bit of a pain but I think we are stuck with it

9. daljsd Forum Member

The clutch and brake pedal should be the same height, If the clutch pedal is higher then the plastic stop is either missing or fallen off the clutch pedal stop (locaed under the steering column somewhere)

10. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

hello! ive just got back from gsf, and got a new manual cable ill have a go a fitting it and let you know how i go.

cheers.

11. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

righty! clutch cable is fitted and its amazing the difference its soo easy to set the bite to where you want! well please! and only 12.19 from gsf. getting the old one off was a pain thou and a two man job, lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

thanks for your help.

12. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

Really?! :o I didnt know this, I just thought that was how it was meant to be, mine is a fair chunk higher than the brake pedal - I've just gotten used to it over the last few years!

Does anyone know exactly where to look for this plastic stop? Can I get a new one from GSF or is it a VW part only? Can I assume that once Ive fitted a new stop, I will have to re-adjust the clutch cable itself?

13. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

hey mate, instead of buying the part which btw ive spend a good hour trying to find out what had snapped and iam still non th wiser. if you take the lower dash off (few screws) and have a look at where the clutch pedal rests there should be a hole, i made a new stop from a nut and bolt and a few washer (you may need to play about with washer sized to get the right pedal height) and jobs a good'n i would really recommend a manual cable thou!

cheers.

14. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

Cheers Cope, I might have a lookee under the dash then, the tray under the wheel is removable then? (I think it was from when I installed my manual choke there, hmmm) Luckily, cos I've got a 'top spec' driver, I already have a manual clutch cable!! ;) :thumbup:

Oh to have a clutch pedal thats the same height as my brake... the dream is nearly there!!

15. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

looks liek you're missing the rubber cable mount bush on the box, it sits under where the black bit is and has like a rubber tube that the cable pushes thru

16. daljsd Forum Member

agree with rubjonny, the big round plastic bit on the cable that sits against the gearbox should have a rubber washer type bit under it. the rubber washer centralises the cable so it doesnt rub against the gearbox. I cant see it in the pic

The plastic stop is a pain to find and is VAG only I think. makes a big difference not having your foot permanently in the up position lol

17. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

You mean Cope is missing the rubber tubey thing or me!? I think I must just be missing the plastic stop on my pedal..?!

18. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

ahh thanks for clearing that up guys! ive found the rubber boot/stop think on my old cable so i will do a quick transfer today! cheers.