Mk2 mission identity crisis

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Blackline, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Blackline Paid Member Paid Member

So when I joined the forum a few weeks back I said I was in the process of buying a mk2. And here she is in all her.............erm glory :o

After buying the car blind, today was really the first I've set eyes on it. Not had it up on a ramp yet to see underneath but was told it shouldn't need much. I was prepared to do some welding etc, safe to say it will need a fair bit of work.

From doing some digging it looks like the car was originally an 8v pb engine. The last engine in the car was a 1.8 16v kr and I have bought a 9a to go back in based on this.
    Looks like there has central fitted but only now on one of the doors, same door also seems to have an electric window which the other is sponsored by mr motivator but also lacks any glass.

As far as the plan ahead goes, I don't see much option but to strip it down and assess the full extent of the work required. I set out looking for a project and I've sure got it!

On the plus side, the sunroof still works :thumbup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please be gentle with comments lol.

2. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

Hey
    Your right you definitely got yourself a project

Like you say strip it and see what you have

Good luck

3. Blackline Paid Member Paid Member

So I started stripping the car down a bit today when I had a few spare hours. I mainly wanted to get the plastic trim off to see what shape the sills and arches are in. It was no surprise, although not terrible, that the rear arches have seen better days. The drivers sill has had some patches welded in but I feel it would benefit from a whole new sill section. The passengers side could use the same treatment, the forward jacking point has giving up on life from what I can see.

Though I would have a look to see what state the wiring is in, there is def a few extra connectors than what the car left the factory. As well as a few other added extras, such as the leftovers of an aftermarket alarm system. However it's not all doom and gloom, I'm fairly sure a head unit would plug straight in no problem ??

Still need to get the car up in the ramps to assess the underneath but at this stage I'm staying positive and convinced the car will see the road again................eventually ??

Anyway enough from me, here is some pics to let you see what my waffling is all about.

Oh and have a look inside the filler neck, I'm sure it's not a retro filter system ??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The ECU is obviously for the the 1.8 16v that came out the car, can anyone tell me, would it be any use for running the 9a engine I have to go back in? Cheers

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

looks liek its had a hard life, good on you for saving it :thumbup:

the ecu will do you fine if you convert the 9a to run the KR injection system before you fit it :)

5. knarfmk1 Forum Member

Damn, I hope it was cheap!
    Good luck with the project!

6. Blackline Paid Member Paid Member

Braw thanks for answering that rubjonny. No doubt I will require your extensive wiring knowledge in the future.

As for the cost, I personally would say it was cheap with enough good parts to cover the current cost. However this is a project which I'm hoping will help me improve my welding skills amongst other things.

7. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

What a project!
    The sense of achieve that awaits you, if you can find the time to finish it will be priceless!

8. valvemiester

valvemiester Paid Member Paid Member

Well done for saving another one, good luck with the project:thumbup:

9. Blackline Paid Member Paid Member

Cheers for the words of encouragement folks.

I should have it up on the ramps this coming week, hopefully there is no major surprises. All going well I will be looking for repair panels by the end of the week. ??