Mk2/Mk3 driveshaft spline sizes

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by jmsheahan, Jan 4, 2012.

1. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

A quick query - can anyone confirm Golf mk3/mk2/Ibiza's share the same M8 spline size for the driveshafts? Went to remove them today and annoyingly don't have the correct tool.

Will this do the job or is it worth buying a complete set? Not come across any other bolts like this on the car yet.

Link

Thanks

2. danster Forum Addict

Yes, the inner CV to gearbox drive flange bolts are the same size on mk1 through to mk3, some smaller engined mk4s are still the same, but the larger engined vehicles jump up a size.

It is worthwhile getting a complete set because the other sizes are used for the cylinder head bolts and gearbox internals.

You can just get a set of bits that will then fit in a 10mm socket to turn them. It's probably cheaper than buying individuals with the square drive incorporated.

EDIT: This sort of kit.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Set-40-pi...t=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item2a17d29d8b

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  3. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Thanks Danster :thumbup:

4. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Rather than starting a new thread can I just clarify a couple of things...

When removing the shaft is it necessary to disconnect from the hub first, remove the hub nut etc or can the inner shaft spline bolts be undone with the hub end still attached? Attempted to remove the splined bolts tonight but not a lot of room to maneuver and get a good purchase. Plus the shafts kept spinning :lol:

Will have to crack the hub nuts off and remove the inner shaft connections when the engine is out if not.

5. danster Forum Addict

A couple of ways of doing it.
    Leave the shaft fitted in the hub / upright, then put a screwdriver in the vented disc and allow it to jam against the caliper to stop the shaft turning as you undo the inner cv retaining bolts. Put a wheel stud in the disc and drive flange if the brake disc retaining screw is missing or broken.
    Use a stilton wrench on the shaft to stop it turning (rough but still works).

NB. Make sure you clean out the spline heads of the bolts if they are dirty, this makes sure the spline can engage fully, I tend to give them a light hit with a hammer to make sure the bit is fully home. You do not want to round them.

Also having a load of socket set extensions allows the job to be done from under the wheel arches rather than lying under the car.

6. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Again cheers Danster. Will have another go at the weekend.

7. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Me and driveshafts are not friends :lol:

Got the spline tool and removed all of the bolts bar one on each side as they have been previously rounded. What an **** of a job! Thought, no problem I'll just remove the hub nuts and worry about the inner ones when the engine is out however when tapping the driveshaft through I found it impossible to push it in far enough to get the spline clear of the hub? I did manage it in the end however had to cut one [xx(]

1 - How am I going to get the rounded bolts out of the inner shaft? Have to get a set or Irwins I guess.

2 - What is the correct procedure for removing the damn things :lol: This was on my breaker car fortunately but I don't want to have break the ones on the Golf. Hub nuts off, steering rod disconnected, anything else? Haynes says to tap them out gently with a soft mallet?! No way would that of helped today :lol:

You can see how it was catching here:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  8. danster Forum Addict

Split the bottom balljoint laddie!!

If you pull the engine and box with the shafts still attached to the gearbox you will have far more room to get at the inner cv bolts with it on the ground and out of the bay.
    Either use vice grips, hammer in a torx bit, or use a chisel on the outer perimeter to rotate the bolts and slacken them off.
    If that fails then grind the rounded heads off and remove the shaft, this will leave the shanks of the bolts accessible to grip with an Irwin rounded nut extractor / external easy out tool.
    But if you need to go as far as this latter suggestion then the 8VAS are happy to see you struggle with your supposedly improved engine transplant. :lol:

9. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Cheers yet again Danster! When you say split the bottom balljoint is it a case of just removing the bolts and whacking it so it pops out? Both shafts are free now so will be coming out with the engine and box tomorrow so should have more access. Those inner shaft spline bolts really are a cnut of a job! Just want to make sure I don't have the same problems on the Golf as I actually care about that unlike the Ibiza.

I'd still be in the 8VAS if the 2.0 bottom end hadn't shat itself :lol:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  10. danster Forum Addict

Yep, remove the M10 bolt that clamps the upright to the bottom balljoint, give it a squirt of release agent or oil. Then use a long bar across the wishbone to lever the wishbone down and pull the balljoint pin out of the upright assembly. They can be quite sticky to come out.
    I can see your car is up on axle stands, this makes it easier, because if you only had one side jacked up then you would have to fight the front anti-rollbar which would be trying to force the wishbone up due the other side being on the ground and compression the suspension.
    Always take care when working under the car with levers and pulling on components. In the interests of safety and not winning a Darwin award, it is a good idea to store the wheels under the car as a secondary support should the axle stands fail or keel over whilst using force on certain components. You may scratch a prize and scene point winning BBS, but better that than trying to hold a car up with your head. :thumbup:

11. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if the ball joint wont come out of the hub you coudl undo the 3 bolts that hold it to the wishbone, but mark it carefully to retain the alignment. it does look liek someone has been there before you though as i can see what looks liek a bolt, nut and washer holding it on there. the oem way is with a lock plate with 3 captive nuts threaded to it. have a look on http://www.vwspares.co.uk to see what i mean they do ball joint kits complete with new bolts/lock plate

12. Bushy B Forum Member

Done a MK2 gear box change at the weekend and stripped one of the drive shaft TORX screws. Anybody know the size and where to buy new ones

13. blu-tak Forum Member

(bit of a thread resurrection) In terms of the length of the spline tool.

Would this 800mm long Sealey M8 spline tool be beneficial?
    AK5535
    1/2"Sq Drive Extra Long Spline Socket Bit M8 x 800mm | AK5535 | Sealey

Or is that so long it would interfere with the out cv boot/hub?
    Or does it mean you can easily crack the inner bolts while being situated from the wheel arch?

Open to advice on a specific length of spline tool you guys recommend.