Mk2 R32 Conversion, not getting any fuel

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by bigmac, Mar 25, 2024.

1. bigmac Forum Member

IMG_1961.jpeg IMG_2049.jpeg Hi guys, this has been a long term project of mine that has taken far too long to get to this stage. I blame family life and a short illness for this, but I’m fully motivated now and I’m itching to get the car running.
    The car was a 1.3L before I ripped the engine out for a 3.2 Bhe from a TT. I’ve managed to fit the engine in the bay by doing some research on this site (philryders) thread has been invaluable.
    My problem lies with not being able to get any fuel coming out from the fuel pipe when I crank it over. I have uploaded some pictures of the fuses just in case I have put them back in the wrong place (it has been quite a few years since I ripped the 1.3 engine out)
    So if anyone can help with any suggestions I would appreciate it greatly. I have waited so long to hear this running. My knowledge of electrics is very limited hence why I had the loom converted by a firm familiar with these engines. I’m sure it’s something simple that I am missing.

Forget to mention that I have had a new in tank fuel pump fitted and I have tested the fuel pump regulator.
    Thanks Allan IMG_2048.jpeg

2. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

@PhilRyder will be your man for this - I'm pretty sure he had a 1.3 that was swopped out for the 3.2.
    No doubt he will chime in in the next 24 hours and hopefully sort you out.

3. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Well, here I am.
    I did have some issues with fuel delivery but they were down to stupidity more than anything else.
    Firstly I had the fuel pipes the wrong way round.
    Are you sure the fuel pump is running?
    What is the fuel pump regulator you speak of?

Also, what front mount do you have there?

4. bigmac Forum Member

Hi Phil, I have read through your thread and done a lot of things that you have. It has spurred me on to getting to this stage.
    I don’t know if the fuel pump is working, but I can’t hear anything and I have just fitted a new pump in the mk3 tank just because I wasn’t getting any fuel coming through the pipe. The pipes are definitely on the right way, and I have taken them off and checked for blockages. sorry I meant fuel pump relay, not regulator The front mount I got from Club Gti, it was a group buy that Toyotec organised.
    It’s a really nice bit of kit. IMG_1952.jpeg

5. PhilRyder

I think you need to make sure your pump is working correctly. Connect it directly to a 12v supply and listen for it. If that’s working then it must be the wiring. We had an issue where the wiring had given up somewhere. We couldn’t figure out where (probably at the fusebox somewhere) but it is a fairly common issue apparently. We had to change the connections near the pump. If that turns out to be your issue I’ll dig out what we did.

@Toyotec needs to organise another run………. ;)

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

does the pump even kick in? if not swap the 18 relay into the bottom right slot, that should put your pump on with ignition. if that works but engine still wont fire look at the ecu wiring and sensor side of things, crank sensor always a suspect but ideally get vagcom plugged in and see if you get any codes

if the fuel pump still doesnt run with ignition on then double check the wiring and jump with power direct see if that works

bigmac likes this.
  7. PhilRyder

Crank sensor is a good shout. We had to replace ours, although the engine would start but then cut out after a few seconds.

8. bigmac Forum Member

Thanks Jon, I did as you said and swapped relay 18 for the fuel pump relay, and as soon as I turned the ignition on I could hear the pump
    But it still wouldn’t start I have ordered a crankshaft sensor to eliminate that. I shall update when I’ve fitted it

9. PhilRyder

Check you have fuel pumping to the engine. Take the fuel pipe off and stick it in a bottle. Crank it and you should get lots of fuel in a second or two.

You can just about fit the new crank sensor without taking anything apart, it’s a bit fiddly but doable.

10. bigmac Forum Member

Yes I have fuel in the line. I already had it hanging over the front wing when I cranked it over, and fuel went everywhere
    Would there be an air lock now between the fuel pressure regulator?

11. PhilRyder

No there wouldn’t. Let’s hope the crank sensor solves the problem.

12. bigmac Forum Member

I have changed the crank sensor today but she still won’t start
    I’m at a loss now what can be wrong, so I’ve made contact with someone who has Vagcom to see if he can help.

13. PhilRyder

You don’t need vagcom on the r32, it is OBD.

14. bigmac Forum Member

Yeah that’s me just saying that. He said he would come over and plug it in to his phone and read what codes come up.
    One thing though, this is the first plug and play loom that I have ever fitted, are there supposed to be plug connectors that aren’t used still on the loom? As I have a few on the engine loom that aren’t being used.

15. PhilRyder

I wouldn’t have thought so? Can you put some pictures up? Who did the loom?
    Just to clarify, have you had the ECU de-immobilised and all the air recirc and rear lambda edited out etc?

16. bigmac Forum Member

I’ll put some up then. it was a well known firm based in Scotland

17. bigmac Forum Member

These are the ones I’m on about, they are all around the gearbox area IMG_2072.jpeg

18. bigmac Forum Member

IMG_2066.jpeg IMG_2068.jpeg IMG_2070.jpeg

Attached Files:

19. PhilRyder

Have the cam position sensors got plugs on them?
    Should those two pink ones be connected together which would connect the two parts of the loom together?

bigmac likes this.
  20. PhilRyder

The two plugs that connect the two parts of the loom are different on ours. So perhaps yours don’t connect.
    This is our loom.
    IMG_1845.jpeg

bigmac likes this.