Mk2 speedo noise?

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Rustbuster, Apr 2, 2023.

1. Rustbuster

Rustbuster Paid Member Paid Member

Hi volks,
    So there’s a kind of scrapey rattle coming from my speedo (not the swimwear type I hasten to add). It points and reads fine, just making a slight noise but noticeable when driving. I’ve replaced the cable and greased where the cable joins the speedo but it’s still doing the noise. While the clocks were out I did get a jewellers screw driver in where the cable drives it and when turned by hand and it’s not completely free as I thought it would be, there’s a bit of resistance there. Anyone know if that’s normal or should it be completely free to turn? Or can anyone recommend someone who rebuilds clocks who I can send it too? I would replace it but it’s a 160mph on my 16V and they seem to be rarely available. Cheers.

2. watercooled Forum Member

Gears inside go bad inside, starts off like yours and then gets very loud ,I would think it wouldn't be long before total failure but most people couldn't put up with it for too long.
    I had one do this and replaced it with a used one,don't know if there are any parts around for these.
    Good luck.

Rustbuster likes this.
  3. Rustbuster

Cheers mate, I’ll have a look through my spares and see if I can cobble something together by stripping parts off another speedo.

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if you try and spin it by hand it should feel nice and smooth, so yeah that'll be the cause of the noise. could just need a bit of lube to salvage it

Rustbuster likes this.
  5. Rustbuster

Spot on! Took it out again and lubed it with some really light oil which I think when mixed with the grease I put there yesterday got to where it has needed and it’s lovely and quiet again now.:thumbup:

6. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

Nice one...

Rustbuster likes this.
  7. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Good save :thumbup:

Rustbuster likes this.
  8. davidut5 Forum Member

I put a new cable in mine, as the old one was cooked gearbox side and leaking. And it made a very annoying scratching sound. It was new but very poor quality as that was the best one i could find. In the end put the old one in, put some tape on it near gearbox and that is it. I think it was metzger or something.

9. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I know I’ve got a speedo somewhere if you get stuck, give me a shout and I’ll post it over

Rustbuster likes this.
  10. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

gemo or genuine is what you want ideally, heritage usually have them in stock

11. Rustbuster

Thanks dude, that’s very kind and much appreciated but I think I’m ok. I’ll keep an ear out on my speedo and see if the noise returns but hopefully it’ll be ok.:thumbup: