MK2 suspention

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by mk2fan, Nov 25, 2003.

1. mk2fan Forum Member

Hi
    My first post ever :)
    anyway i need some help what springs do you lot recomend i use to lower my VW Golf driver 1.6 by 60mm i've looked on raceland and they only do a 55mm or 80mm + theres loads on demon tweeks and i don't know which ones to buy

cheers :)
    Edited by: mk2fan

2. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Gmax are reasonable if you`re on a budget, should be the same height as an 8v gti dropped 40mm if you go 60mm but don`t go any lower.

Best off getting matched springs and dampers with shorted rods, full GMax kit?

Welcome to the forum! :)

3. mk2fan Forum Member

Cheers keithmac but how much does the full Gmax kit cost cause i don't want to spend over 100 (iam a poor student [:^(]) + has any one got any pics of golf drivers or GTI's lowered 60mm on springs

cheers
    Edited by: mk2fan

4. Storm New Member

If your standard suspension is ok your best leaving it like that for now until you can afford a decent full suspension kit (springs and shocks)for around 180.
    If you only have up to 100 you will only be able to get lowered springs. Fitting lowered springs with your standard shocks is a big no no! It might look low but it will be awful over the bumps and handle like a pig. ;)

5. mk2fan Forum Member

ok cheers lads so ur sayin i shouldn't fit new springs with standard shocks well jst asked my parents if i cud borrow sum money and they said YES :p so my budgett is around 170 to 190 so what kits do u lot reccomend i've heard mixed things bout raceland +i want a kit what looks like it is lowered 60mm rather that lookin like it's been lowered 35/40mm

cheers

6. Admin Guest

Bilsteins shocks with eichbach springs?

7. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Welcome to the forum! [:D]

I've got -40mm eibach springs (not sure what dampers) on my 16v, that would give a similar drop to -60mm on a Driver, nice and low... wouldn't go any further though or you'll be forever grounding it! [:s]

8. mk2fan Forum Member

cheers guys for all the suggestions but keep em coming cause i still don't know what i should buy and how would 40mm springs make it a similar drop to 60mm on a driver

9. Dub20vt Forum Member

drivers are 20mm higher than mk2 16vs from factory... so a 40mm 16v drop is like a 60mm driver drop!

10. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Go for the bilstein streetline kit, its 140 inc vat from Euro Car parts and its pretty decent. I had the 16v kit on my car (Which is very heavy at the front) and it only let me down because it sat too low at the front, apart from that it was great.

11. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Sorry, yeah - what Chris said. 16v's are lower than driver's to start with! :)

12. AxlFoley Forum Junkie

mk2fan where abouts are you, i could have what you are looking for PM me if you are interested.

13. mk2fan Forum Member

cheers guys has anyone got any pics of there cars lowered on the bilstein streetline kit + does the bilstein streetline kit allow you to lower your car 60mm?

14. mk2driva Forum Member

mine :) its lowered on the kit. im sur ethoh u can buy one for a driver? cant quite remember waht mines is lowered buy. i know its 40mm but whethher its a gti kit i aint sure. dont go lower than the 40mm anyway mines is good handling but any lower would be to unconmfortable.

15. mk2fan Forum Member

my golf is virtually the same as ur's but with the addition of big bumpers and colour coded wing mirrors urs is a Driver and it's lowered 40mm what wheels u got on it r they 14"s or 15"s

16. mk2driva Forum Member

they are 15inch superleggeras. imo 15's are best for handlin. the car doesnt actually seem to sit that low when lookin at it but put it next to a standard golf and it does. also the drive you feel it. was tempted to lower it 60mm but didnt want a crap ride (especially with a cheapish kit like the ECP one)