Mk2 temp wires

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Andy sky34, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Andy sky34 New Member

I have some problems with my Mk2 golf track car. And some one may be able to help. Since the engine has been out i'm struggling with some of the wires.
    As i wasn't there when my friend dropped the engine out the wires weren't labelled..
    Although i've gone through the haynes manual several times. Some wires are still running free under the engine bay ..
    I say i'm struggling as the the car is a bit of a mix and match It's a 1989 chassis with the manual 1987 type injection system on a 2 litre block. The wires that i'm struggling with are the temp sensor wires.
    The 2ltr block has what seems to be 3 temp sensors by the water housing, 2 sensors on the oil filter housing and 1 on the back of the block by the distributor.

And also some where in there also is 2 extra wires for the additional temp and oil pressure gauges. God knows where they went. Any ideas.

Thanks Andy

2. Stewy

Stewy Paid Member Paid Member

[​IMG]

1 temp sensor/temp sender/switch for start stop system and reversing light vacum switch
    2 oil pressure switch
    8 temp sender for coolant temp guage
    12 oil temp gauge sender
    if need any more let us know

3. Andy sky34 New Member

Thanks !

Do you know which temp/oil sensor/pressure go to what colour wires. And which of the 3 temp sensors go to the coolant gauge etc.

4. Andy sky34 New Member

Anyone! Got any pics of there pre 1987 16v engine bay wires ( oil temp/ water temp) Or where i would attach the auxiliary oil pressure gauge wire.

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

blue/black - low oil pressure switch on filter housing, large and should be blue or brown
    yellow - high oil pressure switch on filter housing, large and should be white
    green/black - oil temp sensor for mfa on back of head, small and should be white
    red/yellow - dash gauge temp sensor on side of head, small and should be black

assume its still running kr injection? if so:
    green/red - isv controller temp sensor on side of head, small and should be black
    white/blue - ecu temp sensor on side of head, small and should be black
    black/red and green/white - 5th injector thermoswitch, large and should be brown

edit: oh and for the pressure gauge, check the filter housing. Often the 2 litre blocks have a sparte sensor tapping here which you could use. if not you'll have to fit a VAG type 2 pole pressure sensor which replaces one of the oil pressure switches, or use a T piece.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
    pingman likes this.
  6. Andy sky34 New Member

Ok thanks for that.:thumbup: