MK2 Track Car - cobra buckets and a few bits sorted

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by RIP-MK3, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Did you try Sanburn?

2. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

no we didn't. we did the try all the vw breakers that were advertising. cheers for that will give them a call today

3. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

today we took the front end off, took out the ecu and sorted the looms into two sides, one were keeping (lights) and one were not (engine loom)

once that was sorted we stepped back to asses. The battery tray was horrible, will definately need sorting properly - might be a job for next winter. For now we decided to get some aluminium mesh and fibre glass across and paint. Won't last forever but will be ok for the summer.

Here's how she looked once wiring was sorted

[​IMG]

bit more rust than we thought but nothing dangerous!!! I took out the dash, column and peddle box to reveal the interior wiring. Sorted again into stuff were keeping and stuff to bin. Hope to the get the abf loom plugged into the fusebox tomorrow

[​IMG]

its only primered hence the whiter than white paint!!! will top coat tomorow morning ready for the new loom, looks nicer even if it is a bit of a cover up!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Great build so far guys... Ive been keeping an eye on this one.

I wish mine was coming along as fast as yours...

I'll be doing the same to mine tomorrow hopefully. The battery tray in mine isn't really rusty, but needs a quick coat over tbh.

Ive gotta say mate, the black rims and red calipers make the car look ace! It looks so different since the last time i see it.

Will have to have a look tomorrow mate... :thumbup:

5. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

cheers fella, it looked nice for a day then we started ripping more bits apart!!! can't wait to start putting it together again.

we will be getting stuck in again tomorrow..... need to sell some bits badly, our garden is full or mk2 bits!!!

6. Richard Mk2

I will have to see what you have there tomorrow mate.

I might have to take a few bits off you... :thumbup:

7. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

my garden is like a driver to gti conversion heaven :lol:

8. Richard Mk2

LOL :lol:

Cool :thumbup:

9. sam-ski Forum Member

thats good for me. exhaust system?????

10. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

sorry mate am using the standard exhaust for a while. have a good condition mk3 exhaust, not sure if they fit?

11. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

** 4 Weeks into the project **

Its exactly 4 weeks since we bought the car home, which considering we have been using weekends and some evenings i think we have done pretty well.

So far we have achieved:

- Complete stripping of mk3 golf, everything usable/sellable removed and shell scrapped
    - Stripping of PB engine and gearbox, sold to another forum member
    - Removal of mk2 subframe and rear beam
    - removal of PB engine looms, peddle box, brake servo, dash, steering column

- fitted mk3 rear beam (twice [:$]), including poly bushing, painting calipers and wire brushing the discs due to surface rust building up
    - fitted mk3 front subframe, including polybush and painting, painting calipers and fitting suspension
    - Fitted mk3 steering column to mk2 mount and attatched to rack
    - fitted complete mk3 engine looms, dash and ignition loom and also clock looms ready to plug in.

Left to do is the following:

- find a passat peddle box, fit hydro clutch and mk3 brake servo/mc
    - make new hard brake lines including a rear bias valve (in car) and connect up using braided hoses
    - Re-fit mk2 dash with mk3 clocks inside
    - get flywheel lightened and throttle body bored out, replace clutch and service engine
    - bleed brakes and clutch
    - MOT

realisitically we are looking at another month, just in time for Inters I would say. Have re-found motivation no we are putting stuff back together again and getting nearer the end :thumbup:

here is the mk3 column/barrell etc in the car

[​IMG]

12. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

Doing well for four weeks, making everyone look a bit lazy! nasty rust hole at the bottom of your a pillar though, gonna be a screen out job to sort that. What's the rest of the car like structually?

13. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

the screen needs replacing prior to the mot anyway as had a big chip in the middle so will take it out ourselves and sort that best we can. It hasn't eaten into it that bad its just surface stuff.

The rest of the car is ok, chassis legs and battery tray were pretty rusty but nothing horrendous and no holes as such. The bottom is really good, doors have some rust bits we will touch up until we find some cheap white doors on fleabay.

Not mint, but good enough

14. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

I think you've done great with it. 4 weeks while working plus doing it outdoors, not easy. It took me a year to fit some bumpers and seats.

15. Lizard Forum Member

haha it took me about 6 months to sort my last abf swap, i could not belive it had only been 4 weeks when i looked at the v5 today!

16. LregG

LregG Paid Member Paid Member

Doing well guys :thumbup:

17. Switch7

Switch7 Forum Member

looking pretty sweet widetrack, impressive progress! Careful you marquee doesnt blow away like mine did [:$]

18. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

If you haven't found a Passat pedal box, just use the Seat stuff. I have that on my car, and it's fine. Much simpler than bashing the bulkhead and drilling unnecessary holes.

19. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

having driven my mk3 with hydro, and lizards ibiza with cable conversion thing - the holes are 100% needed, the action is horrible and very heavy from the cars i have driven with it.

There is no engine or dash in so won't be too much of a pita I hope!!!

20. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

we went to bournemouth friday night so only worked on the car today, decided we both needed a bit of a break from it!!!!

Today we managed to get the shifter box attatched in it's proper place, with the cables and gubbens sat in the bay ready for when we stick the box back in. Due to the bolts being fairly small, on corner we couldn't use a washer, but having done the other three up tight it had pushed the box over so it will be fine I think.

we didn't need to split the exhaust either, just about got it in just by dropping the middle hanger :thumbup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

we also stripped the back as far as its going to go for a while, and also the front door cards as we have sold the interior minus the seats... gave it all a clean up and it looks ok

[​IMG]