MK2 upgrading rear engine mounts

Discussion in 'Engines' started by drunkenalan, Aug 11, 2011.

1. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

I have one of duffs solid front mounts but the rear ones are now struggling and need replacing, should I be fitting new oe type ones, or some more sturdy upgraded ones?

I have seen the floflex ones which look excellent, has anyone used them?

The car is a daily so I dont want 3 golf engine mounts solid mounts , any recommendations?

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

We need this engine to hit 160PS!!!! and 150+lbft

3. danster Forum Addict

The Scottish upgrade (read cheap) is to put a couple of strips of heavy rubber in the voids of the OS rear engine mount, This firms it up a fair bit but is not solid. Then just get a non oil filled NS gearbox mount.

4. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Top tip.
    Similar to the Londonshire mod for the VR6 for the front engine mount :thumbup:

5. danster Forum Addict

Oh, forgot to mention that it is best not to insert a strip of rubber in the bottom of the engine mount if you have a tall block and 4 branch fitted. Just two in the front and back will suffice. This means the engine mount should still have some droop and reduce the chances of the primary pipes touching the bulkhead as they go into the tunnel above the steering rack.

6. turbotommy Forum Member

Forget about Floflex engine mounts,yes they might look like good quality but they do not do their home work and most DO NOT FIT!
    I have a 65.00 good looking paper weight (of an engine mount) they made for a mk3 engine hanging on the back of my shed door,i'll get it made into something useful one day but it won't be what it was made for.
    Back on topic,1 solid mount should be enough like you say,vibra-tech are expensive but a quality & fit but the above mods are worth a try imho before parting with serious wedge.

7. danster Forum Addict

I am not a fan of the single bolt mk3 OS engine mount design. It allows a lot of lateral movement of the engine and box. Knew of a Corrado that kept damaging driveshafts, when the mount was changed for the earlier mk2 3 bolt type with rubber in the voids it cured the issue. The design of the mk2 mount limits lateral movement, and stopped the inner CV joints kissing the output flanges of the box and shattering the joint.
    You cannot fit the mk2 mount to mk3 subframes though. Corrados being a halfway to mk3 design allow the unbolting of the later single bolt style mount and retrofitting of the early 3 bolt mk2 style.

8. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

danster can you clarify that a bit? only corrado i know that uses the mk3 mount is the vr6, which uses a mk3 subframe. mk2 mounts are used in all the other corrados. so i am teh confusled [:s]

9. danster Forum Addict

Hi RJ. It seems there is single bolt OS engine mount that can be unbolted from the subframe and replaced with a 3 bolt type.
    Normally the single bolt mount to the subframe is welded and part of the subframe itself.
    It may have been a bitsa car tbh, so may have been this VR thing you mention. But the earlier captive mount does seem to be a benefit without going to the expense of the big money options.
    It is something to consider if getting a subframe blasted and prepared for a conversion.

10. rubjonny

hmm ive never seen one of those before, only either 3 bolt mount same as mk2 16v/g60 or single bolt mount as per mk3 golf.

was it like this:
    http://www.vwspares.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=607

but with only 1 bolt used? because if so that is very bizare as there are 3 bolt holes on that mount and all are used on the MK2. Actually, I do remember reading on edition that someone fitted a VR6 to his MK2 using the MK2 mounts but only putting in 1 bolt, maybe this is what happened?

11. danster Forum Addict

Yep, it did look like the one in that link. I cant see the top but presume it is a single bolt judging by the shape.

EDIT. Now come to think of it I suppose it could have been 3 bolts on the top, but the mount itself is similar to the mk3 regardless and allows the lateral movement I was referring too. Hence the change to the earlier Mk2 captive type that reduces this movement.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  12. rubjonny

that one does have 3 bolts in it as i have one in mine, was just thinking if the engien was a vr6 or using mk3 brackets then maybe only 1 of the bolts was used. cant say i noticed it offers any movement though i guess if old and worn it may do

13. danster Forum Addict

True that a new mount in that style may be stiffer, but us Scots are tighter than a shark's butt at 50 fathoms, and using something that is already lying around is a far better way. [:D]
    Being northern yourself I presume you get where I am coming from. ;)

14. rubjonny

yep I know what you mean, but I'm also a bit lazy so i have been known to spend a bit more money if it saves me some effort :lol:

15. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

Believe me Eddie its only the lack of time stopping me, but Mrs drunken said I need to get it sorted out! Which I took as spend some money and get on with it!

Thanks for the advice chaps!