Mk2 vehicle speed sensor

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by maltloaf, Jan 31, 2011.

1. maltloaf New Member

Hi Guys,

I have just completed a Mk2 20vt conversion using OEM management. The engine was in a Mk4 2000 AGU Non-DBW and an 02J gearbox and everything seems to be working ok.

The only fault on VAG-COM I am getting (other than ABS and airbag warnings) relates to the vehicle speed sensor, obviously this is because I am using the Mk2 clocks with a cable drive off the gearbox.

What options do I have to remove the fault and keep a working speedo, and if I do not worry about the error will it cause any problems?

Thanks

Matt.

2. maltloaf New Member

Ok, I have been looking around and have found that a CE2 fusebox might have an output from the cluster which I can use for the speed sensor, is this correct?

I am not sure which connection it might be, and does this still need an input or does the cluster generate the signal itself?

G1/11 Vehicle Speed Sensor Gauge Cluster White/Blue
    U1/11 Gauge Cluster Speedometer Vehicle Speed Sensor White
    U2/02 Gauge Cluster Speed Sensor Violet
    W/01 Motronic ECU Pin 2, Cruise Control Unit, Rear Spoiler Control Unit, Radio, Climatronic Unit, Radio Buzzer Speed Sensor White/Yellow

Thanks

Matt

3. benthejettaman Forum Member

just connect straight to w/1

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

as above, or the yellow/white wire from the radio plug. this only works if you have a mk2 gti cluster fitted as the signal comes from the speedo sensor on the back of the clocks for the mfa. you can add one to a non-gti dash if you really want to, but easier to just change the cluster

5. maltloaf New Member

Thanks Guys,

That worked a treat.

6. WAUOla Forum Member

...and are there any options for an old 1985 CL?

Due drums at the rear, i'd say doing the Monit Q10 with this inductive sensor probably isn't the best idea either.

7. rubjonny

for a CL you would need GTI clocks, or if you take the existing ones out it might have the ribbon there to add speed sensor nicked off some GTI clocks. then you just add a pin to the cluster for your vss output. if not you can wire the speed sensor with its own separate live, earth and speed output feeds if you want to keep the original cluster

8. WAUOla Forum Member

Well, my CL cluster came with the shift indication within the speedo (the markings) and a Big Ben (the clock). So a bit of mitch and match later, I am finally getting it sorted with a VDO rev counter instead.

So, there are then a speed signal somewhere in this electrical mat somewhere on the cluster to utilize, sounds just as something I need to figure out which to jump into it.

Asking because I'll probably go with a Monit Q20, and I wonder if wheel sensor or VSS probe. :)

9. rubjonny

only the GTI clocks have the speed sensor as standard, but many non-gti stiull have the ribbon for it as its required for cruise control and aktiv speaker systems which were offered on non-GTI as well. you'll soon spot it if you look round the back anyway. all speedo can have sensor added theres a blanked hole you poke the plastic bung out of it and screw it on. then either fit the foil on cluster if it has it, or add your own wires

WAUOla likes this.
  10. WAUOla Forum Member

If memory serves me right from the 16V, this is it?

Attached Files:

11. NateS2

NateS2 Paid Member Paid Member

Yep that's it!

WAUOla likes this.
  12. WAUOla Forum Member

So, the black bit which fastens with the screws is the speed sensor itself, correct? Need to source that then.

13. rubjonny

its found on all GTI clocks with MFA, MK1, MK2, Scircocco. You unscrew the sensor, flip the clips either side then it hinges open and you pull the foil. poke out the blank in the back of your speedo hole, install your sensor then add a pin to the clocks :)

14. NateS2

NateS2 Paid Member Paid Member

They're actually still available new from VW classic parts in Germany, they're very expensive though for what they are: 321907345B

WAUOla likes this.
  15. WAUOla Forum Member

Yes, found them used at ebay for €50 too. Thanks, I'll keep the look out for any GTI clusters around then. :)

NateS2 likes this.