MK2 VR can't insure :(

Discussion in 'Insurance chat' started by luacgt1, Sep 5, 2013.

1. luacgt1

luacgt1 Forum Member

Hi, Footman James say they can't insure my car as the engine has been swapped is this usual? Lots of people seem to be insuring modified cars with them. I tried Lancaster too but same problem. Any ideas who else I should try. I'm 28, clean license, never made a claim. Car is mk2 driver with 2.8 vr6 including suspension and brakes fitted.

2. lard44 Forum Member

HIC insured my mk2 ABF with no hassle...

3. Scutler Forum Member

They have changed the criteria,been with them for 8 years insuring everything from stock to 20v mk2 and now they won't cover me as the car is not in a garage.......?

4. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

I'm with HIC as well, they insured me on a mk2 VR6 and had no problems when I swapped that engine to an R32

5. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Give Greenlight a call, they WANT to insure your modified car!

Tony@Greenlight likes this.
  6. lard44 Forum Member

Brentacre have a good rep too, although I've never gone with them personally...

7. lozbebbers New Member

I've recently managed to get my mk2 2.9vr on a classic policy with Aidrian Flux, fully comp for 230!!. Never had a problem getting it insured, have mainly alternated between HIC and Flux, just on ordinary modified schemes

8. luacgt1

luacgt1 Forum Member

Cheers guys, I'll get all the above to quote I guess. Lozbebbers what info did you give, I.e did you say suspension and brakes are also swapped?

9. lozbebbers New Member

Gave a full list of mods (very few original parts on the car now!), not worth concealing any details that could void a claim. Some companies want horsepower details, plus at least five photos, and any bills/receipts as proof of value of mods

10. benthejettaman Forum Member

try rh classic most friendly insurance company i have had dealings with and they insured my coupe with no problems and thats running a 4mo lump with upprated vr6 suspension and brakes and also converted from lhd to rhd. im 33

11. luacgt1

luacgt1 Forum Member

Will do Ben I'm actually going to honorarium properly this time. Lozobbers thats great, I want all mods declared so I know I'm insured properly. I have receipts for the build and dunno graphs so should be easy enough. Cheers guys

12. Tony@Greenlight

Tony@Greenlight Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

Hi Luacgt1,

I hope you managed to find a decent Insurance deal for your MK2 (VR6) driver.

Whilst we've been a sponsor of Club Gti's national day in the past, we've not had any real presence upon the forum until now.

We cover modifications upon a like for like replacement basis, can agree the value of your vehicle, would be able to offer trackday cover under several of our products and also allow generous discounts where you cover a lower annual mileage.

We've our own section upon the forum, which will tell you a bit more about Greenlight. But if you're still having problems and need a hand with covering your MK2 VR6, we'd welcome the opportunity to help :thumbup:

Kind regards

Tony