mk2 - water in my footwell?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by richardstrehlau, Dec 3, 2006.

1. richardstrehlau New Member

hi i have rain water in my drivers side footwell in my mk2. is there a common place for a leak or will i have to spend hours looking? any help will be great, thanks

2. jimmy123 Forum Member

just had this problem with mine[:^(] i had a small leak from the windscreen seal,a blocked rear sunroof drain and a leak from the inner door membrain, easy way to find the leaks is to remove the door trim/lower dash trim and check for a leak with some one runing a hose over the car till you find it

3. dubstar Forum Member

Had this problem with my old mk2

the window screen surround was rotten, holes everywhere[:^(]

wasnt happy as i thought it was just the membrain aswell

4. Dono Forum Member

me too,

but its behind the door, and under the top corner of the wing. by the looks of it the sunroof drainage tube has rubbed the paint off over time and allowed rust to develop. then when it rains and my car is on a slant, my fusebox gets wet.

5. jimmy123 Forum Member

just got in the car and now have water in the bloodey passangers side[:^(] (easy to see as the carpets and under lay are out drying) the search continues:lol:

6. jimmy123 Forum Member

thankfully no rust when i changed the seal[:^:]

7. thegolfman Forum Member

Where is the sunroof drainage pipe? Im still getting a puddle in my rear passenger footwell on my 5 door mk2.

8. Dono Forum Member

it starts at the sunroof and ends jst behind the front door at the top of the wing, hold the door slightly ajar and look at the A pilar behind the wing and you will see it

9. richardstrehlau New Member

thankyou all, going to have a look over the weekend, really frustrating! still never mind! ;)

10. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

I had the same problem and did all of the above. Turns out the bonnet pull cable grommet was perished. Sealed off with clear silicon problem gone.

11. grumpey golfer Forum Member

mine had water leaking through the scuttle pannel then down through the heating system, commen problem

12. Mad Micks Forum Member

First, check the windscreen seal. Sometimes the rubber perishes, but unfortunately rust can get in the seem and cause problems.

Also worth checking the bulkhead for water ingress. Check under the scuttle - (the black plastic cover) for leaves, muck and anything that may have blocked the drainage.

I hear you can get problems with the door seals, but I've not know this on any Golf I have owned (yet!).

13. steved Forum Member

Heater Matrix?

14. richardstrehlau New Member

doubt it's the heater matrix as i have just replaced it! the coolent level has reamained the same so i'm pretty sure its rain!!! Cheers anyway

15. Matt G Forum Member

check all the drainage points, my bro had this problem, took it to jet wash, and blasted them clear!

16. dubDREAD

dubDREAD Forum Member

i would say Yes check scutle for leaves blocking drain holes to the wings water will come in down the fan vent if your really unlucky it will fuse your fan too !
    and the main one is the door membranes behind the door cards need tobe completely sealed no holes at all ,you can geta roll of fresh membrane from gsf cheap i used spray glue , while you have the membrane off make shur your drain holes in the bottom of the door are not blocked if so unblock em as you will be rustin your doors fromm the inside out [:^(]

do it soon before you soak all that wadding , and you will be steaming up all winter :lol: