Mk3 16v, More Torque Please?

Discussion in 'Engines' started by jonmiller, Mar 21, 2004.

1. DarrenH Forum Member

theres something else you could do to improve torque, and thats mess around with final drive ratios. engine torque is multiplied through gear ratios. so say you have 100lbf-ft, multiply that by 3.55 dfor 1st gear and again by 3.55 for final drive and thats like 1200 pounds of turning force !!!! then stick a 3.7 final drive on and it suddenly turns into 1300 pounds. obviously thats just a 1st gear example, but you get the picture. youll get a reduction in top speed, but a marked improvement in low gear acceleration.

2. H8SV8S Forum Member

:lol: We're cracking down on illegal immigrants too!

3. chrismc Forum Junkie

Im being diplomatic.... ;)

It actually has virtually VR6 performance in a straight line!! [:$]

4. b'locks Forum Addict

now you're being silly

5. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Funny as it might sound, a mk2 with about 155-170bhp IS a match for a VR6 in a straight line ;)

And I don't mean on the A12 :)

At Donington earlier in the year there was a mk2 VR6, I matched it all the way down the back straight,and was side by side all the way down the pit straight, In fact he was holding me up (and Tub)

Video to proove too :lol:

6. prof Forum Addict

exactly why i said change the box earlier, the mk3 16v one is geared for 160+

7. atkinss Forum Member

Do you have it online? Would be interesting viewing. :p

Cheers

8. H8SV8S Forum Member

It ain't funny at all, mate! VR's aren't as quick as they feel inside - the torque is decieving, just like driving a Mk4 1.8T - feels OK, but in reality its laughably slow. I love VR6's but a good 16v will keep up. Mine totally pastes VR6's and at the moment it's internally stock (massive torque from idle though). I've not encountered a tuned VR6 yet (they're damn rare here), but I imagine they shift quite well (PhatVR6's 13 second Mk2 VR :clap: )

9. b'locks Forum Addict

how about a schrick manifolded vr? i'll be looking at around 210ish bhp and 213ish lbft after it's fitted in a couple of weeks. i reckon i'll spank your gay SEAT!!!

10. H8SV8S Forum Member

:lol: You're a real VR patriot aren't you! You're right, a VR with those specs would be good. Still prefer a 16v, though. 2v engines remind me of LS1 V8's too much [8(] - similar power:litre aswell! LOL :lol:

11. chrismc Forum Junkie

Thanks Gary...I knew i wasnt lying!!

The VR in question was only a standard mk3, but the 20BHP advantage is cancelled out by the extra weight it has to accelarate/brake & corner with!!

I dont for one minute expect to take a leak on a tuned VR! ;)

12. b'locks Forum Addict

but how many vr6's on here have been rolling roaded at the VW quoted 174bhp??? i think you'll find that most are 190bhp+ and if they've got aftermarket suspension set ups (which most have) then u will get spanked!! ;)

/edited due to extreme gayness
    Edited by: b'locks

13. chrismc Forum Junkie

Well my mates has Koni suspension so handles ok, & is mechanically standard, so may be 174BHP or may be more...I dont know!! ;)

All I know is that it definitely doesnt spank me, straight line or otherwise..but then my car is far from standard! :lol: :lol:

He constantly whinges that he needs to make some more choice mods!

14. GVK

Have a look at the videos from Donington (November 2nd)

You can't really see it, but on the Redgate spin video, the noise you can hear is the VR'd mk2 alongside

The Tubthumped one shows that the VR wasn't that quick either

Edited by: G_V_K

15. jonmiller Forum Member

Ok, well my question has been answered, I'll stay out of the 16v vs VR6 argument now... [:s]

16. GVK

lol@ Jon - sorry for the hi-jack [:$]

17. AndrewF Forum Addict

yeah, i'd say there's not much between a mkII 16v and a mkIII vr6...until you get upto 120mph+, then the vr6 will dissappear. all down to gearing, vr6's should be quicker than they are but the ratio's hold them back.

someone on the last page said they thought the vr6 felt fast, but wasn't. i'd say it's faster than it feels actually (goin on mkIII that is).

but a lot depends on who's pedalling it, as with any car.

18. ianb Forum Member

A good 2 litre 16V will pee all over a VR6 around Coombe or any other track..........even a modded VR6 like mine

The times for my MK2 are considerably quicker than my VR6's best around Coombe (3-4 secs quicker......a country mile!

A VR6 will never turn in like a GTI...laws of physics I'm afraid and a good 200 + bhp valver will be quicker everywhere..........

Laziest engine ever........nice fast road car but track car it ain't IMO...poor engine design too..speak to the tuners !

Ianb

19. couzens Forum Member

That's because the MK2 16v was built for the country lanes etc with the mid-range acceleration. Pop a 2 litre bottom end on and it will have even more torque. Its lighter as well and the floor pan design is much better. Naturally then it will leave a vr6 behind in this environment or on the track = the MK3 vr6 is a motorway crusier that's what it has always been. Despite having the v6, I would rather chase someone in the "real" golf.

20. MK3_GPP Forum Member

Agree

Thats what the VR was made for at the end of the day, but they can still do well on the straight 1/4 miles etc

Edited by: MK3_GPP