Mk3 2.0 - ECU & Stalling issues

Discussion in '8-valve' started by 1FallenAngel, Mar 23, 2010.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

fans shouldnt kick in till temps are around 3/4 on the gauge, oil temp of 83 is far too low for the fans to start going

2. 1FallenAngel Forum Member

Bugger, thought i had solved it :( I'll see if my friend can come over tonight to take a look at the port connection and get vag.com working on it, but i expect im gonna be home late again due to having to stop twice, this really sucks

3. 1FallenAngel Forum Member

I've noticed what looks like coolant leaking onto the cylinder block from around the thermostat housing which has dried pink (same as coolant). Could the thermostat be stuck shut, and the engine not getting cooled enough and cutting out? If this is possible, then why does my temp gauge read normal? I sat the car running on the driveway for a good 20 mins or so, the gauge didnt budge a bit over the central marker

4. rubjonny

no it wouldnt be that I dont think, especially since its reading normal. its something that needs looking at later on though

5. 1FallenAngel Forum Member

Okay how easy is it to take off the dash trim around the ciggy lighter and port?

6. Stewy

Stewy Paid Member Paid Member

Easy few screws bit of pulling ands out it comes..

7. 1FallenAngel Forum Member

Okay ive seen the two screws behind the ashtray but it wouldnt budge and i was worried i was gonna bust clips or the trim itself, i'll have a proper look saturday then

8. rubjonny

gotta pull all the switches & blanks, and also the trim around the heater controls

9. 1FallenAngel Forum Member

Great, thank you :)

10. AGray Forum Member

my mk3 8v is doing exactly the same, replaced the dizzy and rotor and it stopped cutting out completely.
    Now it just cuts out but restarts itself straight away, giving a huge judder and throwing the full car forward! It's trashed my engine mounts doing this! [8(]

11. 1FallenAngel Forum Member

I wish replacing them had solved my issue but it still the same, someone sggurstion ignition coil to me yesterday, fitted new one, still same, also new coolant temp sensor, still cuts out.

Not had a chance to take the dash out to look at ecu port connection so I'm back driving my mums 1.2 Ibiza whilst mine is sat in back yard being wasted, I'm so angry n fed up with this car

12. 1FallenAngel Forum Member

Well i got the controls out and looked at the connections, all seems well, i still dont get why the cigarette lighter doesnt work and the green light around it doesnt work, but i can charge my phone from it.

Double checked all fuses, all fine.

So why on earth can't i use the ecu port?? I'm totally stuck now, apart from replacing every part i can think of trying to rule out what is wrong, what else can i do??

I've had the following suggested to me but i wondered what your thoughts are:

MAF sensor
    Throttle body - Butterfly inside now working properly or sticking
    Lambda sensor
    Ignition coil - replaced this, still same problem

13. 1FallenAngel Forum Member

I ran VAg.com on it again today, the problem is not with the port as i could get into things like the ABS and read a couple faults there, but it refuses to connect with the Engine management etc.

Could this mean a new ECU is needed, and if so does this mean i will need to buy new keys etc??

14. rubjonny

right i doubt the ecu is at fault, its probablyt the wire from the ecu to the diagnostics port thats at fault. if you look behind the dash there is a grey/white wire from the ecu, this connects to the immob box then another wire from there goes to the vag-com jumper block above the fusebox.

now since the car actually runs the wire between the ecu and the immob box will be fine, as without this car would start then immediately cut out. so i would be looking at any loose/snapped grey wires with brown plug on, start at the diagnostics jumper block and work from there. This is what you are looking for:

diagnostics jumper block:
    [​IMG]

immob box and associated wiring:
    [​IMG]

15. 1FallenAngel Forum Member

Great, thanks John :)

16. gixxer New Member

gti cutting out

hello there, fallen angel, been following your thread with uch anticipation as my gti mk3 is doin the same thing (i think) as yours ive also done nearly allthe stuff you have, and staring to wind me up aswell, even took it local vw specilaist they replaced loads of stuff and empted my bank account!!!!!!! and still does it.

think im gonna give up, looking for a seat 1.8 20v turbo engine to drop in instead!!!

keep us all posted to as what the problem is

17. 1FallenAngel Forum Member

Hi Gixxer, well I finally got the knock senor and fitted it this morning, sat it on the driveway to get up to temp, an it cuts out. :( not sure what the hell to do now, can't afford to take it to Vw, and what u said doesn't give m confidence either, that really sucks mate, 20v T def a nice problem solver tho! Lol

Been looking at newer cars today as I'm ready to give up with it, GT TDI golf or Fabia VRS 130 diesel, nice drives!! I don't like the thought of having to do finance tho so right now I'm stuck and fed up beyond belief, 6mths owning it, not even 6 weeks I got to drive it :(

18. rubjonny

have you replaced the crank sensor and coil yet? those would be high on the list. knock sensor wouldn't cause it to cut out, just run badly.

i have had brand new knock sensors be faulty fresh out the box in the way you describe, so if you got a cheapo one try a better quality item from gsf or ecp. the one i hjave in my car I bought from vee w services bristol:
    http://www.vwsonline.co.uk/car_parts_bristol/

19. 1FallenAngel Forum Member

The knock sensor I got was a Bosch one, will try the crank sensor. Have tried the coil, didn't solve it, will let u know if crank sensor fixes it, I'm getting confused with knock/crank/cam sensors lol

20. rubjonny

crank sensor is the one that is a total nightmare to swap, gotta get a jack under the engien then remove the front engine mount & bracket to get to it. burried right down bottom o block next to the gearbox