mk3 8v engine budget tune ups?

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by tonyroberts1986, Feb 22, 2013.

1. tonyroberts1986 New Member

I have recently purchased a 1995 gti 2.0 8v engine code ADY and was woundering if anyone had any helpful ideas on how to get more power out of the engine without breaking the bank.. I have been given a k&n 57i filter for it which i have fitted and a spare flywheel which i am going to take to get lightend but other then that i wouldnt know where to start, if anyone has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated :)

2. foreveryoungaus16v Forum Member

Get rid of the cone filter (just sucks warm air and u lose performance) and get K&N pannel filter. Mod the airbox by removing all the plastic ridges,

remove the trumpet. Get an ebay chip and then send the flywheel off to Hotgolf (Mart) on here to lighten and balance the flywheel;)

3. TSR 2.1 Forum Member

Step one, and this may sound silly.

Check to make sure that you are actually getting full throttle. As in there is more than a fair chance over the years something may have slipped or been replaced wrong and so may not be quite right.

;)

4. Ecurie Ecosse Forum Member

See if you can get a cross flow head.

5. bazzagolfgti Forum Member

i would keep the k&n mate i have one and noticed better mpg and a little better pick up
    but it needs to be mounted right i.e as close to the wing as poss mate

also manifold decat will help

my old mk3 gti was a m reg ady 2.0i 8v and i had a full stainless exhaust k&n ect and it was quicker than my mates standard one

6. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

fast road secondhand cams are cheap enough

7. foreveryoungaus16v Forum Member

No wrong, all a cone filter will do is suck in hot air. I had one for few months and replaced it with air filter and box. Now much better pick up. Idea is to get cold air to the filter not hot air! lol. Cones are only good for nise. It has also been proved on rolling road print outs that a modified air box with K&N filter performs far better then the cone. Its common sense really.

Also a manifold and de cat will do nothing for performance other then give it a louder noise. The standard CAT is not restrictive. You will also have to fit the CAT come MOT time if you de cat it. Both manifold and de cat waste of time, effort and money.

8. bazzagolfgti Forum Member

i know your wrong
    if a cone filter is fitted with a heat sheld it
    i have had both

i had a standard airbox not great
    i have had a cone filter fitted was a little better
    i have had a modded air box and panel filter was about the same as the cone filter
    iI THEN FITTED a cone filter cold air feed and heat sheld
    picks up a heck of a lot better

all fitted to my old gti ady lump

and the golf i drive at the min gti agg lump
    i have fitted a k&n to that and instanly gained 3-5mpg better fuel econ

also a four branch manifold will increse flow so will be better for the engine

thank you

9. foreveryoungaus16v Forum Member

Complete rubbish. A modified Airbox with K&N pannel filter with cold air feed is the best set up. This was proven on the golfgti site on the rolling road. I will find the

link. A Manifold will NOT increase performance.

10. foreveryoungaus16v Forum Member

Quote from a member who knows his stuff:

'After research and more research, and speaking to some people (people who actually know), I came to the conclusion that a sealed airbox, with the inside smoothed and the intake pipe on the inside rounded off and one or two sealed cold air intakes, giving the airbox more air than it's using, is the best method. It might not sound as loud as a drilled airbox and cone filter but performance-wise it's the best setup.'

11. bazzagolfgti Forum Member

i am just going off what i have had in my mk3's and the only car that a cone filter dint help was a mk3 astra 1.8 16v but the stainless manifold did

12. Jaundice

Jaundice Forum Member

Read Toyotecs test of the ABF air intake, cone filters do not improve performance, or at least they don't on ABF's.

To get more performance out of any engine, you need to find out what is restricting it now, then remove the restriction. The standard airbox is more than capable of flowing enough air for the 8V engine, fitting a cone filter as has already been stated in this thread will just allow the engine to draw in much warmer less dense air. However, the performance difference on these engines is negligible, and on my MK3 8V, I fitted one because I liked the noise it made lol.

13. TJ2727 Forum Member

I have to say that last year when I gave our mk3 a service I did get a K&N filter for it and it did feel a bit “stronger” but that could have been down to the new plugs and High Tension Leads I also fitted. Agreed it did sound a bit better.

14. bazzagolfgti Forum Member

Hi i have read that post and on mine 8v it runs better on a cone filter but i have made a heat sheald to keep heat soak to a min lol

also from a drilled air box and a cone filter the noise is not much louder but i think it's down to my heat sheld as on my old one it was a lot louder

dont get me wrong i am not a big fan of cone filters but on my gti it seams to work better than a panel filter or modded airbox

15. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Tune an 8v?

8v -> bin -> install 16v. Done.

16. bazzagolfgti Forum Member

Good point lol
    Keep looking on eBay a vr6's and 16v mk3's

17. foreveryoungaus16v Forum Member

Well on my ABF a cone filter did certainly not help and when I put the airbox bk in it felt far more responsive. Yes you are right tho, a heat shield will help but I think

many people install cone's just for the noise.

18. bazzagolfgti Forum Member

yep thats very true on the noise front

mine dont sound any louder because of the heat shield

if/when i get a abf or a vr6 it will have a panel filter and modded air box tho

19. foreveryoungaus16v Forum Member

I smoothed out my airbox, removed the trumpets fitted a K&N filter and set up a cold air feed from my bumper to the entrance of the airbox (not attached). I then

fitted a power chip to the ECU and have got a Hotgolf lightened balanced flywheel ready to fit along with a new Sachs clutch. Next I will get the gearbox done to

3.94 final drive and lastly get the cyclinder head polished and ported with maybe some better cams:) Go for a ABF, handles far better then a lazy VR6 and when

moddified will out do a VR:)

20. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

The chip is hit or miss on whether it actually does anything.