mk3 8v GTI - help!! Electrical (I think!)

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by mincecfc2, Jul 5, 2010.

1. mincecfc2 Forum Member

Hi

My 95 8v Mk3 Golf GTI just stopped running the other day for seemingly no valid reason at all - it just cut out and refused to start again.

After some checks, it was apparent that it wasn't getting fuel (but was getting a good spark).

The fuel pump fuse is OK, the fuel pump relay *seems* to be working, in that it is "clicking" to the touch when trying to fire the car up.

I then had to leave the car at work and ask a colleague to try to fix it. He removed the fuel pump inspection panel on the boot floor and put a test meter on the supply cables. He reckons it is getting a 4 volts supply.

Can anyone shed any light on my problems please? I don't want to have to run another cable to get it power and whatnot.

The car is on its last legs really, but as I don't have the funds right now to replace it, I'll need to come up with something...

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

to check if its the relay or not, get a chunky biut of wire and run it between the 2 large spade terminals on the pump relay socket. if pump fires up and car runs, you know its the relay. if not you know issue is elsewhere. you may even be able to swap one of your 53 relays into that socket to get pump to come on with ignition, it works on the CE1 fusebox so i assume it works on the CE2 as well.

3. mincecfc2 Forum Member

Thanks for that fella, will try this...

4. mincecfc2 Forum Member

Didn't work [8(]

A friend has tried running a wire direct from the battery to the fuel pump and it still won't start.

Any other suggestions as to what it can be?

Thanks for your help so far, not only this response, but your Fusebox FAQ's which have helped too. :thumbup:

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

did the fuel pump actually run when you did this? if not your pump has died. if it did run then the issue is elsewhere. a common cause for the car cutting out like this is the coil, another cause on the later 8v engine is the crank sensor