Mk3 8v revs cutting out

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by clarkwgriswold, May 18, 2007.

1. clarkwgriswold New Member

Hi guys,

Im having some trouble with my 98 mk3 8v [:^(] . I mainly do motorway miles during the week, and after about 15 mins of driving (70-80mph) my revs drop. This happens completely randomly: sometimes itll be fine for weeks, sometimes it happens every day (which makes it all the more annoying).

The revs sometimes drop and then come straight back, other times they will drop, then come back, drop, come back etc for 1-2 mins leaving me struggling to keep my speed up with the car jerking forward each time they cut back in. Twice the revs have dropped completely and the engines cut out, leaving me to coast over to the hard shoulder. On these occasions she starts back up with no problem, no smoking or struggling.

The only other things I have noticed is my oil light flashing when the revs are dropping, and it seems like a ticking noise from my fusebox in tandem with the rev dropping down.

It seems electrical to me and a friend mentioned I should clean my earths, but perhaps the ticking noise indicates a fault in my toad immobiliser.

Has anyone got a clue what I should try in order to fix this? These intermittent faults are v annoying and Id like to avoid having my car in a garage for a whole day and then be told theres nothing wrong with it as has happened in the past [:x] .

Any help greatly appreciated,

andy

2. madmonkey Forum Addict

Get your GTI plugged into a VAG-Com

EXACT same thing as mine did (does)

Tried all the other usual stuff, clean throttle body, replace ECU relay etc...

Hooked it up to VAG-Com myself, got a intermittant failure of the engine speed sensor.

I have a nice new Crank sensor sitting on my coffee table (arrived today)

3. clarkwgriswold New Member

Just got one off ebay, what am I looking for when I plug her in?

4. madmonkey Forum Addict

This is what I got...

Address 01 -------------------------------------------------------
    Controller: 037 906 025 R
    Component: SIMOS 4S 2104
    Coding: 00000
    Shop #: WSC 01269
    1 Fault Found:
    00513 - Engine Speed Sensor (G28)
    16-10 - Signal Outside Specifications - Intermittent
    Readiness: N/A

5. 1990 mk2 driver New Member

Clarke, I'd love to know what your result is, I'm having exactly the same problem with my Mk3 8v, completely intermittant and utterly infuriating. I have noticed when she dies though that the power steering also goes - not sure if you have the same? Whenever it happens I've stuck the clutch in and coasted for a little, then drop the clutch and the engine often kicks back in again but it can take a couple of goes (30secs or so), and the steering is very heavy until the engine comes in again.

Anyway, stick a post up when you find the problem, I'm intrigued.

Cheers

6. m12t New Member

cheque your relays as that was the pob with mine

7. Leon R Forum Member

1990 mk2 driver) the engine drives the PAS pump so when the engine dies, so does PAS, bit pant browning when it cuts out on corners like my valver does.

I agree, Fuel pump relay would be first to check for me, hopefully you could borrow one to see?

8. clarkwgriswold New Member

1990 mk2 driver - My vag com should be arriving soon, as soon as I've got it working I'll let you know.

I don't thnk the PAS cuts out with the revs, it doesn't seem like anything else electrical is affected. It might be worth you trying a vag com too, but I'll post here what I find.

9. Nike 512 Forum Member

Clark - another thought for you. I have exactly the same problem and have come across a couple of other forums where it's discussed as a relay issue. Last time mine conked out (at the weekend) I felt down and relay 30 was hot - apparently it may be interfering with the circuit board it's attached to. Doesn't explain why it gets going and is happy afterwards but may be a solution, I'm going to replace mine tomorrow or Wednesday and see if it makes any difference.

Out of interest is your ABS light permanently on too? Mine is and both problems started at the same time - I may be unlucky but they may be related through the same relay.

Anyway, post us a solution if you get there, I'll let you know if this relay thing helps mine.
    laters

10. Nike 512 Forum Member

Apologies to m12t, sounds like we're along the same lines...

11. Nike 512 Forum Member

12. clarkwgriswold New Member

Nike 512 - No, my ABS isn't on all the time. Next time this happens I'll check that relay, see if it's hot.

Shouldn't take long, it seems to be happening more and more frequently nowadays :thumbd:

13. clarkwgriswold New Member

So on the way home she cut out again, this time one drop then nothing. Had to coast over to the hard shoulder and stop.

I checked my relays and none of them were too hot, tried to start her up but this time no joy. She turned over, but wouldn't kick in.

I noticed my toad alarm light was flashing red, so I pressed the unarm button on my fob, tried again and she started first time [:s]

Must be a faulty immobiliser then, but I'll still try the VAGCOM when it arrives ...

14. bustersballs Forum Member

had similar prob with my mk3,rev counter used to fluctuate tho the revs stayed the same then started pratting around,turned out to be distributor

15. Nike 512 Forum Member

Starting to sounds mysterious Clark, and different to my problem, I've never known her not to start up. Still haven't tried that new relay mind but planning to give it a go tonight - will let you know if it helps mine but still intrigued as to the vagcom results.

16. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

if the tacho is fluctuating etc then id say engine speed sensor or maybe hall sender

17. clarkwgriswold New Member

Managed to get my shifty VAGCOM working finally, here's the engine result:

VAG-COM Version: Release 409.1-US

Control Module Part Number: 037 906 025 R
    Component and/or Version: SIMOS 4S 2104
    Software Coding: 00000
    Work Shop Code: WSC 01317
    1 Fault Found:
    00513 - Engine Speed Sensor (G28)
    16-10 - Signal Outside Specifications - Intermittent

Same as yours madmonkey ... if your crank sensor change fixes it, let me know where you got it/how much you paid etc please. ta. Looks like the immobilizer problem could be a red herring :p . Maybe because the electrics went when she cut out last night the immobilizer kicked it.

1990 mk2 driver - sounds like we both have the same problem, but I'd recommend getting yourself a vagcom and checking first.

Nike 512 - different problem I reckon, due to my relays not being hot. Again, try a vagcom see what it says.

Thansk all for your replies, hopefully I'll change the speed sensor and that will be the end of it. :clap: [:D]

Last edited: May 23, 2007
  18. Nike 512 Forum Member

I'm 1990 Mk2 Driver in disguise ;) - I realised I have 2 accounts but couldn't login with this one to start with (it's been a while!) [:$]

19. clarkwgriswold New Member

20. yardi29 Forum Member

try changing your ecu relay comon fault u can only get them from vw for about 10 quid