Mk3 boot plinth screws

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by MJA, Feb 1, 2023.

1. MJA

MJA Paid Member Paid Member

Hi,

What's the best way of sorting this? 5 out of the 6 have snapped screws in them.

I've attempted drilling but not getting anywhere.

Would be good to remove the (rivets?) Any tips on not damaging the paint? And if I did remove what can I replace with?

Cheers
    20230201_222915.jpg

2. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

No experience with MK3's but taking a chance they're similar in places to the MK2.

Is this the plastic part that pushes into the metal of the tail gate? - 1H6827584A

Screenshot_2023-02-02-07-46-06-97_260528048de7f2f358f0056f785be619.jpg

If so (or even if not, may well do in any case) can be got here amongst other places -

https://www.deutsche-parts.co.uk/1h6827584a-new-genuine-part.html

Possible that N0139351 is the screw recommended for them.

Without seeing / knowing what's there I'm just speculating... Could you access the plastic retainers from the rear and break the holding tabs / push out or Dremel around the plastic close to the metal on the inside and twist it off from the screw at a push?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
  3. MJA

MJA Paid Member Paid Member

Cheers Zender. I wish they were plastic but they are metal. Access isn't that easy on all of them at the back.

These are the ones but don't fancy paying his delivery charges for a set.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254731390467

Thinking about a it they probably do need cutting from the back as the screws are stuck in them so they will be expanded into place.

I wonder if i can convert to the mk2 setup? They look like they go into square bodywork holes? I've not had a mk2 apart in this section yet.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
  4. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

Could you get in well enough to cut off the rear tip of that metal holder so as to expose its inner threaded part?

Then if the sheared off screws are flush with the outer face at the other end, dremel in a slot that'd allow you to screw the broken remains further in so they exit from the new hole at the back?