MK3 Caliper's off, discs changed, pics of new one's?

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by RIP-MK3, Mar 1, 2008.

1. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

trying to remove the front caliper to change the disc, is the caliper held on by allen key fitment? if so what size?

i thought when i changd the pads it was an 8mm allen key! but this seems too big and a 6mm to small.......

Last edited: Mar 1, 2008
  2. lufbramatt Forum Member

7mm then . . . halfords do 7mm allen keys with nice long blue handles for about 3 especially for getting brakes off :)

3. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

cheers mate, after that will the discs come off just with undoing the screw next to the wheel nut holes? or is there something else holding them on?

ta, off to halfords now!!!

4. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

I have got the caliper off now, but the screw that secures the disc is being a right c**t, have tried hammering in a flat head and getting a 24v drill on the bugger but it just bent the flat head piece!!!

How can I get it out? can I get a bit that will drill it out? what is the procedure etc??

5. MrDubmeister Forum Member

Northampton in a village in the middle of nowhere
    You can drill them out ive never done this personally. The other method is use a impact driver with the proper sized bit and hit it like ya life depended on it that usually works for me.

6. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

my house mate reckons there is a little kit you can buy that drills into it, then it bites and just unscrews it??

excuse the dumbness but impact driver? same as hammer drill?? lol

7. MrDubmeister Forum Member

8. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

ah ok, got a halfords trade card so may pop down and get one of those then, looks like it's not happening today then [:v:]

oh well.... wish i could have a go tomorrow but doubt the mother would understand!!! lol

cheers for your help!

9. TurbTech Forum Junkie

Might be able to get it out by drilling them and using a small reverse threaded stud remover. I tried this as both the heads had sheered off on mine but snapped the bit. Ended up buying new screws and drilling and tapping a new hole.

10. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

yeah I went and bought a reverse thread thingy, but it just didn't do anything..... should I drill a small hole first as a guide then try the reverse thread thing? might just go buy a impact driver whilst it still has some thread left!!!! very frustrating really, some cars don't even have the bloody thing so it needn't be so hard!!!!

11. MrDubmeister Forum Member

If theres still thread left then definitly try an impact driver, use the drilling as the last resort IMO anyways

12. lufbramatt Forum Member

yea you need to drill a pilot hole for the extractor, go easy though as they snap for fun and youll end up with a lump of hardened steel in the screw which will be impossible to drill out . . .

impact driver all the way!

btw neither of my front discs have the screws, makes changing wheels a bit more difficult but means i knoe i can get the discs off when the time comes. the disc is held on by the wheel bolts anyway, the screw just keeps the holes lined up.

13. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

thought as much, not sure whether to go buy new one's from the stealers or just leave them off.... will worry about that when I actually get the bleeding things off!!!

crazy how such a little insignificant screw can ruin your whole days plans!!!!
    [:x] [:x]

14. MrDubmeister Forum Member

Yer they are a pain especially when you dont have the right tools to fix it. My N/S front disc dosnt have one snapped off and never boverd replacing it.

15. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

do you know if you can get extra long wheel bolts with a thread on one end and nothing on the other? that way i could leave the screws out, and when i come to fit the wheel I could screw the extra long one in to keep the discs lined up etc, put the wheel on put a few wheel nuts in and then take out the long one?

would this work? could ask an engineering firm to make me one

16. diggerbucket Forum Member

You don't need an extractor, just use a drill starting with a small bit and work your way up till the head of the screw is gone. Then once you take the disk off the remaining part of the screw should be loose so you can get it out with vice grips. 5 minute job :thumbup:

17. pigbladder Forum Addict

no need...if you make sure the holes are lined up before you pick up the wheel its okay , not like you have the wheels off every week is it

18. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

right i have got the screw out at last, but the disc won't come off because of the caliper carriers?? i thought they were supposed to pass them? haynes manual doesn't say they need to be removed??

grrrrr... the carriers are well and truly stuck on.....
    [:x] [:x]

19. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

there are two carrier bolts, 8mm allen socket works well. usually MILES over torqued (like 8v torque level) but only really needs to be 65nm when you put them back on

going for new bearings too?

20. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

yeah have bought new bearings but haven't got a press so that will probably wait until mot time next month, i thought the carriers were held on by two 17mm bolts??

well i have been out there for ages with all sorts of smacking and banging and they arn't coming off for love nor money so i am stuck again!!!

gggrrrrr!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2008