mk3 dash or TT dash into mk1

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by racerx, Nov 5, 2003.

1. racerx New Member

i wanna fit a more modern dash in my mk1 so i was thinking of fitting a mk3 dash.
    Just wanna know how difficult it is and what to watch out for.
    how much should i pay for one?
    just out of curiosity how much is a TT dash? ;)

thank you for any help :p

2. Ajit_mk2_16v Forum Member

what about a Lupo dash????

3. racerx New Member

how much would they cost?
    how difficult is it to fit?
    i guess the fact that the lupo is not as wide as the mk3 or TT it might be easier to fit.

i'll go down my breakers later. (Sanburns)

4. binliner Forum Member

have seen a mk3 dash in a mk1 looked ok but dont know how
    easy it was

5. Seizure Forum Member

MkII dashes go in. And MkIII dashes should be about the same width, so yeah, the MkIII should go in.

The TT dash is wider still. Have seen a couple fitted to a MkIs. One had cut the ends off to get it to fit and made his own ends - That looked pants. The other was fitted to a blue Cabby by Parts R Us in Coventry. Dunno whos it was though. Not sure what they did about the end caps, bit they hadn't cut it and they could close the doors OK.

With dashes though. Anything is possible. Just depends how much time, effort or money you're willing to spend and what sort of end result you want.

Good luck!

6. racerx New Member

its gonna happen just gotta find out some prices.....if i do carry out the conversion i will proberly do a thread so everyone can hav a look and help

just gotta decide....mk3 dash,TT dash or lupo? as long as the cars ready for inters 2004 i'll be happy.

7. nuttinnew Forum Member

Polo4 dashes apparently go in quite easily and a Lupo dash is the same width. Nice breakers to be close to!
    Edited by: nuttinnew

8. Mikedav Forum Member

MK3 dash is mega dated as well. Out of those 3 Id go for a lupo or TT dash

9. dusty_mauve Forum Member

Lupo dashes look cool in the Mk1

10. racerx New Member

so then which dash should i go for. i think the TT dash is gonna cost me a lot but i think the lupo dash might be i little bit cheaper. only thing thats buggin me is that my uncle said he could make a cool looking dash out of fibreglass. i mean how simple does that TT dash look. But if i use a custom dash that means gauges!$$ ive seen some really cool lookin gauges on the impossible performance website but none of them do petrol gauges.

i think it might be the lupo dash coz it might be cheaper.

11. Steve B Forum Junkie

well here is the mk3 dash in my mk2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i also heared of mk4 polo dashes probably quite hard tho

me and funky fin paid 35 at the scrappies for all the trimmings for our dashes but we then got a few extras like red lighter surounds and gti clocks which cost a bit more

weather you can find it of not there is a massive thread on mk3 dashes on the old forum

if you want a mk2 dash i have one with all the bits you can have and its the old type so the eletrix will work from your dash with no modifications

fitting the dash is airly easy the hardest thing you will find will be the wiring there was a really usefuull post abou it on the other forum that i wish i had for when i wire the dash up in my new car

if you have any more questions on a mk3 dash give eiter myself, jetta man, funky fin or golfboy chris a call as we all fitted ours around the same time and have a few hours on them, i would say i would be the most expirienced on the mk1 front because i had an older car with mk1 eletrix where as all the others had mk3 eletrix meaning they had a much easier job

jetta man is the god of the dash swap if he is still giving out info

12. green with envy Forum Member

Well I got a Lupo GTI dash in the shed ( nice clocks and all ) that was previously fitted to a MK1 ( so should be easier to fit in my MK2 as all backing been done )

I paid 100 for the complete dash inc clocks switches etc etc

I have seen both the Polo and Lupo dash in the MK1 and they both fit v.well. Pain to do but once you have the brackets on the bulhead for it they fit with hardly and gaps at all.

well worth it

13. racerx New Member

thanks for all the help guys

Green With Envy have you fitted the dash yet?
    what kinds of mods has the dash had to fit in a mk1 (brackets,wiring etc)?

only 100 i thought dashs like that would have cost something like 500

14. green with envy Forum Member

Not fitted yet but the guy who had it in his MK1 had a MK4 polo dash in it before. I know he had to make some additional brackets to the bulkhead so the dash was secure and I'm not sure if he had to 'heat' any of it up to allow correct fit.

Whay I do know is that when it was in in looked the Mutts. Everything was working as it should be.

The Dash is cheaper because the airbags had deployed. Drivers side not a prob cos you don't use that and the passenger side now has a 'glovebox' ;) ( I still have the top bit of dash as box lid etc )

Wiring is a case of following routes etc. It may be worth getting hold of a manual for whatever dash you put in and the most obvious thing is to label and mark up everything you remove

Yes trying to find one I would say is gonna take a while which is why I snapped this one up. ( the guy broke his car up )

However deffo worth the wait. I can tell you the Polo dash looked mint in there as well.

When I come to fitting it ( ? ) I will post a 'how to' with pics. Next year sometime

Edited by: green with envy

15. nuttinnew Forum Member

green, :( Guess I won't be spending any money at The Grasshopper then [:^(]

Unless, as yours is a mk2, you'd be interested in a non-modded Lupo dash as a trade?

16. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict

i love my mk3 dash [:D] [:D]

17. racerx New Member

cool...i'll have have a look for a lupo dash them but if a TT dash comes up for sale then i will buy that for def. I know that Sanburns as got one but its left hand drive. I thought they would cost like 850! but i was wrong.

After looking at PVW's Rallye i want a TT dash. :p

18. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

vento mike has a mk4 dash in his mk1

19. racerx New Member

do you know how to contact him?
    isn't the wiring the same on the mk4 as on the TT?

SteveBhow did you find the wiring ie for the heaters light switches etc?
    Edited by: racerx

20. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict